What to look for in a Plastic Surgeon
Deciding to have surgery and choosing a plastic surgeon can be a crucial decision. As a result, it is important that you have a clear understanding of the nature of your surgical procedure. It is also vital to ensure your surgeon is fully qualified plastic surgeon and trained to the highest standards to carry out the procedure.
Many health care providers and so-called cosmetic surgeons are now performing cosmetic procedures, but that does not mean they are all qualified to perform plastic surgery. ASPS Member Surgeons have accreditation and training in plastic surgery, which encompasses both cosmetic and reconstructive procedures.
Members of the Australian Society of Plastic Surgeons (ASPS)
- Fellows of The Royal Australasian College of Surgeons (RACS).
- Medicare only recognises ASPS plastic surgery specialists.
- Have completed all the Surgical Education and Training requirements in the specialty of plastic surgery, which takes at least 7 years post-medical school graduation.
- Operate in accredited medical facilities.
- Adhere to a strict code of ethics.
- Fulfil continuing professional development requirements, including standards and innovations in patient safety.
- Participate in volunteer plastic surgery organisation such as Interplast which provide Plastic Surgery to more than 20 countries in need.
What is the Difference Between Cosmetic and Plastic Surgery?
Not all doctors who practice cosmetic surgery are Fellows of the Royal Australasian College of Surgeons FRCS (Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery), which is fully accredited by the Australian Medical Council (AMC). Although some doctors may call themselves cosmetic surgeons they are not members of ASPS.
ASPS is the major training section in Plastic, Reconstructive & Cosmetic Surgery of the Royal Australian College of Surgeons. Further, members of ASPS are specialists with extensive post-graduate surgical training.
Watch the video on Choosing a Plastic Surgeon who is a Member of ASAPS – Australian Society of Aesthetic Plastic Surgeons
Dr Patrick Briggs
Specialist Plastic and Cosmetic Surgery Clinic in Melbourne
Dr Patrick Briggs is a Specialist Plastic and Cosmetic Surgeon and his team are dedicated to excellence in patient care and are committed to treating each and every patient with respect and privacy.
Dr Patrick Briggs offers high quality, natural-looking plastic and cosmetic surgery results and is experienced in Breast, Body and Face Surgery having performed over 4500 Surgeries in private practice. Dr Patrick Briggs is an expert in breast, face and body surgery for men and women.
How can we help?
Dr Briggs’ Patient Coordinators take pleasure in assisting you with any questions when considering a plastic surgery procedure. Please call the Hawthorn East clinic in Melbourne between 8 am – 6 pm on Weekdays.
Want more information about your Procedure?
What to Bring to Your Consultation
- If you like, please bring a friend or relative to help discuss the information and your choices.
- Take a lot of notes and thoroughly examine the documents your surgeon provides.
- You may need to undress so it’s a good idea to wear simple clothes.
How to Book a Consultation
- Dr Briggs Consultation fee is $300.
- A referral from your GP or your specialist is helpful but not essential. However,
- To claim any Medicare or Health Insurance you will need a referral.
- Please contact the Patient Care Team at Coco Ruby Plastic Surgery today to book your consultation.
*Disclaimer: Individual results can vary significantly from patient to patient. The information we provide is general. For further information on what to expect for your preferred procedures, arrange to see one of our Specialist Plastic Surgeons for a full history and surgical consultation.