What is Male to Female Top Surgery?
Top surgery refers to a surgical procedure done on the top part of the body. It removes the breast tissue from the chest and makes the chest look more masculine. It can be done in conjunction with a breast reconstruction procedure in which an implant is placed to enhance feminine features in male to female conversion surgery.
Gender Affirmation Surgery (Male to Female Top Surgery) gender confirmation surgery or transgender surgery is a life-changing surgical procedure. During these procedures, your surgeon changes physical and sexual characteristics.
Surgery can also help with the treatment of gender dysphoria, which is a psychological condition in which a person is not satisfied with their birth-assigned gender.
Some gender plastic surgeries include;
- Top surgery (chest masculinisation surgery), surgeries or chest sculpting with implants (performed by Dr Briggs)
- Bottom surgery, Orchiectomy, vaginoplasty, scrotoplasty, hysterectomy for masculinisation, facial feminisation surgery. (NOT offered by Dr Briggs)
What are the Benefits of Male to Female MTF Top Surgery?
- Enhances not only the size but also the shape of your breast
- Doing this enhances the feminine look of your breasts which in turn boosts self-confidence.
- Creates breast symmetry and increases nipple projection.
You should discuss your conditions and the benefits of MTF Top Surgery before going through with the procedure to see if the procedure is the correct fit for you.
Am I A Good candidate for MTF Top Surgery?
MTF Top surgery may be the procedure for you if;
- You are over 18 years of age
- You are In good physical and mental health.
- Hormonal therapy alone has proved insufficient to give you your desired breast size.
- You are realistic about the outcome of the surgery
- You do not smoker
- Are within a normal weight range
- You want to enhance the feminine shape of your breast.
- Are not planning major weight loss or gain
- Or, if you are under the care of a psychologist or psychiatrist
Book a consultation today if you can relate to the above.
Male to Female Before and After Photos
Click here to see more Male to Female Before and After photos or Visit the clinic to see the real patient photo gallery of Before and After Male to Female surgery. Results depend on individual patient circumstances and can vary significantly.
Hormone Therapy and Gender Surgery
Testosterone and estrogen also called male and female sex hormones, are reused for hormone therapy.
Hormone therapy is not a necessity before top surgery. However, in some transgender men, hormone therapy can be given for the chest muscle to grow and for women, it can increase the breast tissue before breast augmentation.
Hormones before surgery may give an individual a better outcome after the top surgery but it is not a necessity.
The doctor often tests your hormone levels before the surgery to ensure you are within the target range.
Your Transgender Surgery Journey
Before you undergo top surgery, you will need to have a thorough consultation with your surgeon to fulfil certain prerequisites. Your doctor will screen and diagnose your mental and physical health status and whether or not you have any medical comorbidities. this includes:
- Evaluate your personal and family medical history
- A general physical examination that includes all; your reproductive system assessment, cardiac, respiratory, or gastrointestinal system assessment.
- As well as, various lab investigations of your blood, urine, or X rays.
- Both a physical and mental assessment. This will include your gender identity and dysphoria.
- How your gender identity has made an effect on your school, home, office, and all your friends and family.
- And, mood issues
Consent for Gender Confirmation Surgery
After discussing all the risks, complications and conditions with your doctor, you must give informed consent that includes;
- Both the risks and benefits of the surgery.
- Alternative methods.
- Social and legal implications.
- And the complications and irreversibility of the procedure.
If you are nervous or unsure of the procedure, you can always talk with fellow transgender people who have undergone similar procedures.
Recovery and Results after Top Surgery
After surgery, your chest will be wrapped and compressed for several weeks following the surgery. Some additional precautions you must take after the procedure include;
- Your sleep position – You will need to sleep with your body inclined at an angle with your torso elevated for a few weeks after the surgery.
- Excercise – You must avoid heavy chest exercises for at least 2 to 3 months post-surgery.
- You may also need additional surgery if you need to improve your chest size or shape.
- And, you will need to follow up if you desire further hormone replacement therapy.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the average cost for gender affirmation surgery?
The price usually depends on the type of surgery you are having. In general, the typical cost of gender affirmation top surgery can range from $12,000 to $20,000 or more. However, the costs depend on the different techniques done, the hormone therapy and further follow-ups. These may result in additional charges depending upon the doctor you visit.
Is gender affirmation surgery painful?
The surgery is done under general anaesthesia so you won’t feel pain at all during the procedure. Although you may feel discomfort after the procedure you can manage this with medication your doctor will prescribe.
How do you pay for MTF surgery?
Since insurance does not always cover this surgery, you may have a variety of options to pay for surgery.
- Personal loan
- Credit cards
- Family loan
- Crowdfunding and fundraising
Is gender affirmation surgery considered cosmetic?
Although gender surgery is done as a management to the medical condition gender dysphoria, it is unfortunately still considered cosmetic.
It is considered a medical necessity only under the following conditions;
- You are above 16 years of age and have legal approval to choose whatever gender you want.
- You are in complete well-being with no further medical illness.
- There is an applicable Medicare item number
- And, your life significantly improves after surgery.
Do you get scars after MTF top surgery?
Yes, MTF top surgery results in some degree of scarring. But they will gradually fade and flatten over time. Most patients feel their final results are well worth the scars in the beginning.
How do I know which type of top surgery is best for me?
Your surgeon will give you the best professional advice before the procedure. The procedure depends upon your; chest size, shape, skin elasticity, preferences for nipple and areola size and placements.
How long does the top surgery take?
Although it depends on the procedure and the surgeon, in general, it takes between 1 and 3 hours.
Can breasts grow back after top surgery?
Although a little tissue is left behind to maintain the contour of the chest, 95% of the tissue is removed so, breast tissue will not grow back
Will I need multiple surgeries for the MTF top surgery?
Most patients only require a single surgery however <5% will have to undergo additional surgery which will be a very minimal procedure.
When can I resume my daily work activities after top surgery?
You can leave the hospital the day after surgery but you can only resume your office job after 2 to 3 weeks. You will also need to refrain from heavy chest work for approximately 2 to 3 months.
Choosing the Best Plastic Surgeon in Australia for Gender Surgery
There are huge differences between cosmetic surgeons and plastic surgeons concerning their education, training, qualifications, operating rights and more. Dr Patrick Briggs is a highly experienced plastic surgery expert and member of FRCS, ISAPS, ASAPS and ASPS, all of which are protected medical titles and ensure a certain (minimum) level of expertise and experience. Moreover, he is a specialist plastic surgeon that is qualified to operate in accredited hospitals around Australia.
Plastic V’s Cosmetic Surgeons
There are definite benefits to choosing a plastic surgeon over a cosmetic surgeon, and it is important for you to know who your surgeon really is. Advertising is often deceptive, and “cosmetic surgeons” are NOT specialist plastic surgeons. A cosmetic surgeon could just be a regular GP who has decided to perform body surgery, whereas a qualified specialist plastic surgeon will have years of study and membership from their governing body (ASAPS, ASPS, ASPS-USA, ISAPS).
Unfortunately, it doesn’t require much training to become a ‘cosmetic surgeon’ in Australia, the existing medical laws allow almost any doctor with basic qualifications to perform these surgeries, should they choose to. Not all surgeons who perform all body surgeries in Melbourne have extensive training.
Dr Patrick Briggs
Specialist Plastic and Cosmetic Surgery Clinic in Melbourne
Dr Patrick Briggs is a Specialist Plastic and Cosmetic Surgeon. Both he and his team are dedicated to excellence in patient care and are committed to treating each and every patient with respect and privacy.
Not only does he offer high-quality results he also offers natural-looking plastic and cosmetic surgery results. Furthermore, he is experienced in Breast, Body and Face Surgery having performed over 4500 Surgeries in private practice.
How can we help?
Dr Briggs’ Patient Coordinators take pleasure in assisting you with any questions when considering a plastic surgery procedure. Please call the Hawthorn East clinic in Melbourne between 8 am – 6 pm on Weekdays.
Want more information about your Procedure?
What to Bring to Your Consultation
- If you like, please bring a friend or relative to help discuss the information and your choices.
- Take a lot of notes and thoroughly examine the documents your surgeon provides.
- You may need to undress so it’s a good idea to wear simple clothes.