What are the benefits of FTM (Female to Male) Top Surgery?
Since the effect of testosterone to reduce breasts in trans men is minimal, FTM Top Surgery plays an important role in relieving gender dysphoria and helping improve quality of life.
Benefits that FTM Top Surgery patients experience include;
- Significant improvements in psychological and social functioning
- Enhanced body confidence
- Lower future risk of breast cancer
- More masculine chest and sculpted appearance
- Improvement in self-confidence. Patients feeling more comfortable in their own skin
- Increases the ability to “blend in” in public, due to the more traditionally masculine appearance
- Results are permanent and typically not reversible
Female to Male Before and After Photos
Click here to see more Before and After Female to Male photos or Visit the clinic to see the real patient photo gallery of Before and After Female to Male surgery. Results depend on individual patient circumstances and can vary significantly.
Am I a Good Candidate for FTM Top Surgery?
If you are;
- Unhappy with your breast shape and size
- Have realistic expectations before undergoing surgery
- In good physical and mental health
- A Non-smoker, or a smoker willing to quit
- 18+ years old
- Able to make a decision based on complete information and consent to the surgery
Then you may be a good candidate for FTM Top Surgery.
Hormone Therapy and Gender Surgery
Testosterone and estrogen called the male and female sex hormones are used for hormone therapy.
Hormone therapy is not a necessity before top surgery. However, in some transgender men, hormone therapy can be given for the chest muscle to grow and for women, it can increase the breast tissue before breast augmentation.
Hormones before surgery may give an individual a better outcome after the top surgery but it is not a necessity.
Moreover, the doctor will often test your hormone levels before surgery to ensure if it is within the targeted range.
Your Transgender Surgery Journey
Before you undergo top surgery, you will need to have a thorough consultation with your surgeon to fulfil certain prerequisites. Your doctor will screen and diagnose your mental and physical health status and if you have any medical comorbidities. Your consult includes;
- Evaluation of your personal and family medical history
- A general physical examination that includes all your;
- reproductive system assessment
- cardiac assessment
- respiratory assessment
- Gastrointestinal system assessment.
- Various lab investigations of your blood, urine, and/or X rays.
- Along with a physical assessment, your doctor will also require a mental health examination. This will include your gender identity and dysphoria.
- As well as, how your gender identity has made an effect on your school, home, office, and your friends and family.
- And, any mood issues
Consent for Gender Confirmation Surgery
After discussing all the risks, complications and conditions with your doctor, you must give informed consent that includes:
- Risks and benefits.
- Alternative method.
- Social and legal implications.
- Complications and irreversibility of the procedure.
If you are nervous or unsure of the procedure, you can always talk with fellow transgender people who have undergone similar procedures.
Recovery and Results after Top Surgery
After surgery, your chest will be wrapped and compressed for several weeks. Some additional precautions you must take after the procedure are:
- Sleep position – you will need to sleep with your body inclined at an angle. In other words, your torso needs to be elevated during sleep for a few weeks after the surgery.
- Excercise – You must avoid heavy chest exercises for 2 to 3 months post-surgery.
- Additional surgery – You may need additional surgery if you need to improve your chest size or shape.
- Follow up – You will need to follow up if you desire further hormone replacement therapy.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the average cost for gender affirmation surgery?
The price usually depends on the type of surgery you are doing. The typical cost of gender affirmation top surgery can range from $12,000 to $20,000 or more. The costs depend on the different techniques done. The hormone therapy and further follow-up require additional charges as well depending upon the doctor you visit.
Is gender affirmation surgery painful?
During surgery, you are under general anaesthesia so you won’t feel pain. Although recovery can be slightly uncomfortable it is manageable.
How do you pay for MTF surgery?
Since your insurance does not always cover this surgery, you may have a variety of options to pay for surgery.
- Personal loan
- Credit cards
- Family loan
- Crowdfunding and fundraising
Is gender affirmation surgery considered cosmetic?
Although gender surgery is done as a management of the medical condition gender dysphoria, it is, unfortunately, still considered cosmetic, it is only considered a medical necessity under the following conditions;
- You are above 16 years of age and are legally approved to choose whatever gender you want.
- You are in complete well-being with no further medical illness.
- There is an applicable Medicare item number
- Your life significantly improves after surgery.
Do you get scars after MTF top surgery?
Yes, MTF top surgery results in some degree of scarring. But they will gradually fade and flatten over time. Most patients have felt their final results are well worth the scars in the beginning.
How do I know which type of top surgery is best for me?
Your surgeon will give you the best professional advice before the procedure. The procedure depends upon your chest size, shape, skin elasticity, your preferences for nipple and areola size and placements.
How long does the top surgery take?
It depends on the procedure and the surgeon. Generally speaking, it may take anywhere from 1 to 3 hours.
Can breasts grow back after top surgery?
Although a little tissue is left behind to maintain the contour of the chest, 95% of the tissue is removed so, breast tissue will not grow back.
Will I need multiple surgeries for the MTF top surgery?
Most patients only require a single surgery however <5% will have to undergo additional surgery which will be a very minimal procedure.
When can I resume my daily work activities after top surgery?
Usually, you can leave the hospital the day after surgery. However, you should take 2 – 3 weeks before resuming work and only then if your job is not labour intensive. You should also refrain from heavy chest work for approximately 2 to 3 months.
Choosing the Best Plastic Surgeon in Australia for Gender Surgery
There are huge differences between cosmetic surgeons and plastic surgeons concerning their education, training, qualifications, operating rights and more. Dr Patrick Briggs is a highly experienced plastic surgery expert and member of FRCS, ISAPS, ASAPS and ASPS, all of which are protected medical titles and ensure a certain (minimum) level of expertise and experience. Moreover, he is a specialist plastic surgeon that is qualified to operate in accredited hospitals around Australia.
Plastic V’s Cosmetic Surgeons
There are definite benefits to choosing a plastic surgeon over a cosmetic surgeon, and it is important for you to know who your surgeon really is.
Unfortunately, advertising is often deceptive, and “cosmetic surgeons” are NOT specialist plastic surgeons.
In fact, a cosmetic surgeon could just be a regular GP who has decided to perform body surgery. Whereas a qualified specialist plastic surgeon will have years of study and membership from their governing body (ASAPS, ASPS, ASPS-USA, ISAPS).
It doesn’t require much training to become a ‘cosmetic surgeon’ in Australia, the existing medical laws allow almost any doctor with basic qualifications to perform these surgeries, should they choose to. Not all surgeons who perform all body surgeries in Melbourne have extensive training.
Dr Patrick Briggs
Specialist Plastic and Cosmetic Surgery Clinic in Melbourne
Dr Patrick Briggs is a Specialist Plastic and Cosmetic Surgeon and his team are dedicated to excellence in patient care and are committed to treating each and every patient with respect and privacy.
Dr Patrick Briggs offers high quality, natural-looking plastic and cosmetic surgery results and is experienced in Breast, Body and Face Surgery having performed over 4500 Surgeries in private practice. Dr Patrick Briggs is an expert in breast, face and body surgery for men and women.
How can we help?
Dr Briggs’ Patient Coordinators take pleasure in assisting you with any questions when considering a plastic surgery procedure. Please call the Hawthorn East clinic in Melbourne between 8 am – 6 pm on Weekdays.
Want more information about your Procedure?
What to Bring to Your Consultation
- If you like, please bring a friend or relative to help discuss the information and your choices.
- Take a lot of notes and thoroughly examine the documents your surgeon provides.
- You may need to undress so it’s a good idea to wear simple clothes.
How to Book a Consultation
- Dr Briggs Consultation fee is $300.
- A referral from your GP or your specialist is helpful but not essential. However,
- To claim any Medicare or Health Insurance you will need a referral.
- Please contact the Patient Care Team at Coco Ruby Plastic Surgery today to book your consultation.
*Disclaimer: Individual results can vary significantly from patient to patient. The information we provide is general. For further information on what to expect for your preferred procedures, arrange to see one of our Specialist Plastic Surgeons for a full history and surgical consultation.