Chin Reduction in Melbourne
Chin Reduction Surgery in Melbourne, VIC
In the sections that follow, you can learn about the criteria for ideal chin reduction surgery candidates, as well as the procedure itself, and the associated risks and benefits.
Chin Reduction Surgery – Am I a Candidate
The best candidates for chin surgery are individuals in good physical and mental health who have realistic expectations for the outcome of their procedure. Candidates should be at least 20 years old, as chin development is at its end. There also can be no evidence of any active diseases or significant, pre-existing medical conditions. The candidate must also be free of any bone disorders.
The Chin Reduction Procedure
In preparation for chin surgery, the patient will want to avoid aspirin as well as any aspirin-containing medications. In addition, non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs should be discontinued for at least one week prior to the surgery. These medications thin the blood and can prevent normal blood clotting and introduce an increased risk of bleeding and bruising.
Chin reduction surgery begins with the surgeon making an incision inside the mouth (near the lower lip) or under the chin. Using specialized instruments, the surgeon detaches the bone at the tip of the chin and then reshapes and removes the excess bone to properly proportion the contour. The tip is then repositioned with the remaining section of chin and held together using wires and plates. The incisions are sutured to complete the procedure.
Risks and Benefits of Chin Reduction Surgery
All surgeries have inherent risks. With chin surgery, the patient may experience swelling for several weeks or months while the bone heals. Infection is a less common risk to weigh when considering chin plastic surgery. Another potential side effect to consider following chin reduction surgery is small nerve damage. If small nerve damage occurs, this can cause the patient to experience numbness in the lower lip and chin. Additionally, complications can arise from adverse reactions to anaesthesia, which can affect a patient’s respiratory system.
Though the risks may be significant and important to consider, the likelihood of complications is greatly reduced when chin reduction surgery is performed by an experienced surgeon. In careful, skillful hands, a chin reduction surgery can improve the appearance of your chin and enhance your self-esteem. A chin reduction can create a more harmonious balance between your nose and your chin as it creates a more equal proportion between the two. A chin reduction procedure can be the final element in creating an elegant, balanced appearance.
About Dr Patrick Briggs FRCS (Plast) - Specialist Plastic Surgeon in Melbourne
Dr Patrick Briggs offers high quality, natural-looking plastic and cosmetic surgery results and is vastly experienced in Breast, Body and Face Surgery having performed over 4500 Surgeries in private practice. With world-wide expertise Dr Patrick Briggs is an expert in breast, face and body surgery for men and women.
YOUR NEXT STEPS
Book your Initial Surgery Consultation
- Email us or Call on 1300 264 811 to arrange your initial consultation appointment with Dr Patrick Briggs.
- A Referral from your GP or specialist is helpful but NOT essential – you can have a consultation without a GP Referral.
- Your initial Consultation Booking Fee with a Specialist Surgeon is $300 and your booking fee is paid ahead of your appointment and will secure your consultation date. You can pay by phone by calling us to book an appointment time. We have online payment methods if necessary.
What to Bring to your Plastic Surgeon Consultation
- It can be helpful to bring a friend or relative to help discuss the information and your choices
- Take notes and read the literature provided on the procedures thoroughly
- Want more information before scheduling your consultation?
Request more information about the procedure – call or contact us
- Browse our websites, Facebook and Instagram for further information on your procedure
- Organise an Online Virtual Consultation with Dr Patrick Briggs
Please contact us using our contact form to arrange to book a consultation with our Specialist Plastic Surgeon or to speak with our reception staff who will be able to provide you with further information.