Facial Surgery in Melbourne
- Do you want to rejuvenate your face?
- Want to slow down facial ageing?
- Desire a more youthful appearance?
Dr Patrick Briggs is known for his honest advice and his empathetic, caring personality. He is also known for his superior post-op patient care during the facial surgery recovery period.
He can help you rejuvenate your face with minimal downtime and scar minimisation strategies.
With over 25 years in practice, Dr Briggs has helped hundreds of individuals refine their appearance with the following procedures:
- Neck Lift
- Brow Lift
- Eyelid Surgery
- Ear Surgery
- Cheek Fat Removal
- Chin Remodelling
- Cheek Augmentation
- Chin Reduction
Men and women often seek a facelift or neck rejuvenation in their late 40s, 50s or beyond. The average age is around 50 to 58, but this can vary by over 10 to 20 years.
Wrinkles, fine lines, eye bags, sagging jowls, and other visible signs of ageing are inevitable. In addition to the effect, that time has on your skin, several factors such as prolonged sun exposure, genetics, medications, smoking, and repeated facial expressions can also play an integral part in the development of these skin imperfections.
If you want to achieve smoother, radiant, and younger-looking skin on your face, facial surgery might be right for you.
What is Facial Surgery?
This is a group of surgical procedures that provides facial rejuvenation by removing excess skin or fat and by also tightening the skin on your face, eyes, nose, forehead, neck, jaw, and lip area.
Am I a Good Candidate for Facial Surgery?
During your consultation, the surgeon will assess your; health history, current medications, body type, and aesthetic goals to determine if face surgery is right for you. In general, you are able to have a face contouring procedure if you:
- Are bothered by the visible signs of aging on your face.
- Have; wrinkles, fine lines, eye bags, sagging jowls, and other visible signs of aging.
- Do not take any medications that can significantly increase your risk of bleeding.
- Are willing to adhere to pre- and post-surgical instructions.
- Don’t have a bleeding or clotting disorder.
- Don’t have any chronic debilitating disease.
- Are a non smoke or you are willing to quit.
- Have a positive outlook in life.
- Have realistic treatment goals.
What are the Benefits of Facial Surgery?
Undergoing a facial contouring procedure can give you the following benefits:
- Improved breathing
- Improved outlook in life
- Increased self-esteem
- Improved visual function
- Smoother, radiant, rejuvenated facial skin
Download A Free Guide
Download our free eBook guides that include resources for plastic surgery patients. They’ll assist with your journey from thinking about having plastic surgery to aftercare and recovery.
If you’d like more information about a particular surgery, please call our surgical support team on 1300 264811 between 9am – 5am weekdays.
What are the Most Popular Facial Surgery Procedures?
The following are the most common facial plastic surgery procedures:
- Buccal fat pad removal: Removes excess fat and tissue from your cheeks to achieve a more balanced and contoured appearance.
- Cheek augmentation: Enhances the appearance of your cheeks by using a synthetic material known as an implant.
- Chin reduction: Achieves a more defined chin by detaching and reshaping the bone at the tip of your chin.
- Chin remodeling: Improves the appearance of your chin by augmenting an overly small chin with implants or removing excess bone to correct a large chin.
- Eyelid surgery: Removes folds and bags under your eyes by removing excess skin and fat.
- Face lift: Tightens the facial skin by removing excess skin and tissue and using sutures to reshape your face.
- Neck lift: Removes loose skin and fatty deposits on your neck to achieve a rejuvenated appearance.
Recovery after Facial Surgery
Your recovery time will greatly depend on the type and extent of your face contouring procedure as well as your desired cosmetic goals. It is important to keep in mind that the recovery period may vary from patient to patient. In general, you normally experience pain and soreness on your face following your procedure. Any discomfort that you may feel can be managed by mild pain relievers and anti-inflammatories. If you are stable, your surgeon will allow you to go home and will provide you with instructions regarding how to care for your surgical wounds, medications to take at home, and when to return for follow-up. You will also be advised to refrain from strenuous activities to prevent tension on your suture lines.
Minimising Scars after Face Surgery
It is important to remember that all surgical procedures leave scars, including ‘so-called’ scarless methods.
Experienced plastic surgeons are extremely careful about scar placement and minimisation, with surgical scars generally fading over time with most scars being barely visible after 12 months.
We will arrange weekly post-op appointments with our specialist nursing team after your procedure to ensure everything is healing well and to monitor your progress.
You will see your surgeon and/or nurse and/or dermal team about six to eight weeks later for a scar consultation and organise scar minimisation treatments.
The Coco Ruby dermal team conducts a series of follow-up scar treatments using a customised selection of Skin Needling, Healite II LED and massaging with oils, Fraxel Laser, V-Laser, Silicone strips & gels and Steroids can also help minimise scars. Ask the Coco Ruby Team!
Note – The length of your recovery period will depend on your procedure and your health and lifestyle factors. Recovery times can vary from person to person – resting helps healing.
Please avoid subjecting your incision to abrasion or excessive stresses during the recovery period.
FAQ about Facial Surgery
Will my Health Insurance cover my Facial Surgery Expenses?
- In most cases, your insurance plan will not cover your facial surgery expenses because it is considered “elective surgery”. To reduce your financial burden, our renowned facial surgeons will provide you with financing options during your consultation.
What should I do to prepare before my Facial Surgery?
- During your consultation with a top surgeon, you will be advised to avoid any blood-thinning medications, smoking, alcohol, and prolonged sun exposure a week before your surgery to ensure optimal results and lower your risk of complications.
How can I minimize pain after my Procedure?
- Aside from taking pain relievers and anti-inflammatories, your surgeon will advise you to use an ice compress over your surgical wound to minimize facial discomforts. Before discharge, your surgeon will teach you how to care for your wound.
How long will the Results of my Facial Surgery Last?
- Several factors will affect the clinical outcome of your surgery including your surgeon’s skills, the type and extent of your surgery, how you care for your wound, and how you adhere to post-surgical instructions. In general, the results of face surgery are permanent and can last for several years. However, you may need another surgery at some point in your life to maintain your younger-looking skin.
How much is Facial Surgery? – Costs & Prices
The average prices and costs of facial surgery vary as every patient has different medical conditions and treatment goals. During your consultation, your surgeon will provide you with a customised estimate and price range for your desired facial contouring procedure.
Funding Face Surgery – Medicare, Payment Plans and Super
Some Face Surgery procedures may be eligible for Medicare.
Purely cosmetic Face Surgery procedures are usually NOT covered by Medicare or private health insurance so you must fund the cost of the surgery yourself.
Many patients ask about payment options and medical finance – You can learn more about payment options for funding your Face Surgery procedure on our Funding Surgery page here.
Your super fund may also be able to help pay for your procedure in certain circumstances – visit the Super for Surgery page to find out about early release of super on compassionate grounds.
How to find the best Face surgeon in Melbourne
Your surgical results will depend on the surgeon you choose. Since face surgery is a major procedure, you’ll need a top brow lift plastic surgeon. A reputable brow lift surgeon has the following qualities:
- A Specialist Plastic Surgeon who is a Member of ASPS5 star online reviews from patients.
- Extensive experience in different types of brow lift.
- Patient Before and After Photos .
- Empathy and caring with recovery and aftercare.
- A great support team with long term follow up.
What are the Risks of Facial Surgery?
Like other surgical procedures, face surgery also has its risks. When recovering at home, it is important to watch out for the following signs and symptoms associated with your procedure:
- Allergic reaction to anesthesia such as skin rashes and difficulty breathing
- Changes in your facial sensation
- Delayed wound healing
- Facial weakness
- Increasing pain in your face
- Numbness in one or both sides of your face
- Pus draining from your wound
- Severe swelling
- Skin discoloration
- Skin loss
- Sutures that protrude through the skin
- Unwanted scarring
- Wound dehiscence
Commonly combined surgery
A Face Surgery can be performed on its own or in combination with other surgical procedures such as liposuction. Face Surgery can also be performed with a procedure on another part of the body – for example breast and tummy surgery is commonly combined as a Mummy Makeover.
As a guide it is best not to exceed a total of 4-6 hours of surgery and also to work on associated parts of the breast, body or face. See the BLOG on Combining Different Surgeries.
Further reading – medical references about Face Surgery
Natural-looking and long-lasting facelift procedures by Dr Patrick Briggs
Facelifts help reduce the appearance of ageing by up to 8 or more years, on average. That’s a huge boost to your appearance – and appearance confidence!
If you want to temporarily turn back the clock and look your best again, for as long as possible, enquire about your options today!
Dr Patrick Briggs
Specialist Plastic and Cosmetic Surgery Clinic in Melbourne
Dr Patrick Briggs is a Specialist Plastic and Cosmetic Surgeon. Both he and his team are dedicated to excellence in patient care and are committed to treating each and every patient with respect and privacy.
Not only does he offer high-quality results he also offers natural-looking plastic and cosmetic surgery results. Furthermore, he is experienced in Breast, Body and Face Surgery having performed over 4500 Surgeries in private practice.
How can we help?
Dr Briggs’ Patient Coordinators take pleasure in assisting you with any questions when considering a plastic surgery procedure. Please call the Hawthorn East clinic in Melbourne between 8 am – 6 pm on Weekdays.
Want more information about your Procedure?
What to Bring to Your Consultation
- If you like, please bring a friend or relative to help discuss the information and your choices.
- Take a lot of notes and thoroughly examine the documents your surgeon provides.
- You may need to undress so it’s a good idea to wear simple clothes.