Inverted Nipple Correction Perth
Inverted Nipple Correction Surgery in Perth WA
Dr Patrick Briggs performs inverted nipple correction surgery in Perth. Inverted nipples are usually evident as a slit or hole in the breast at the location of the nipple and may be present on one or both sides.
Inverted nipples are usually a congenital problem but may be related to scarring from breast-feeding or infection in the ducts, or a previous breast surgery. Nipple inversion can cause functional problems such as irritation, rash and discomfort and may prevent the ability to breast-feed.
Correction is sought most often because it is a cosmetically undesirable condition and women simply do not like the way it looks and want it improved.
There are two techniques to correct inverted nipples – one that leaves the milk ducts intact and one where the milk ducts need to be divided.
In either case, the objective is to reshape the nipple and areola so that the nipple projects out from the breast, enhancing the appearance of the breast while preserving sensitivity of the nipple.
The technique that leaves the milk ducts intact can also help preserve a woman’s ability to breastfeed. However the re-inversion rate is much higher as inverted nipple nipples can often be caused by short milk ducts pulling the nipple inwards.
- Milk Ducts Intact – The procedure can be done under local anaesthesia. An incision will be made just around the base of the nipple on the areola. The nipple and areola tissue is lifted from (but still connected to) the breast and stitched into a new, projecting shape utilising a purse-string style of suturing (stitches). Because of the circular shape of the scar around the nipple, scar contracture will actually increase rather than decrease nipple projection.
- Milk Ducts Divided – This procedure is much more common and may be necessary in more difficult cases. Your doctor will apply local anaesthetic. An incision is made at the nipple base, and the shortened milk ducts are detached, allowing a natural-looking projection of the nipple. The incision is sutured closed and medicated gauze is applied to the site.
Recovery is very rapid with a return to work and most activities within hours. Showers are permitted the next day but patients must keep their dressings as dry. The sutures will be removed in 4 to 7 days.
There is minimal pain or swelling in inverted nipple correction surgery. Sensation is normal immediately or returns fully within several days.
Contact us today to find out more.
About Our Plastic Surgeon – Dr Patrick Briggs FRCS (Plast)
Dr Patrick Briggs offers high quality, natural-looking plastic and cosmetic surgery results and is vastly experienced in Breast, Body and Face Surgery having performed over 4500 Surgeries in private practice. With world-wide expertise Dr Patrick Briggs is an expert in breast, face and body surgery for men and women.
Book your Initial Surgery Consultation
- Email us or Call on 08 9381 9300 to arrange your initial consultation appointment with Dr Patrick Briggs.
- A Referral from your GP or specialist is helpful but NOT essential – you can have a consultation without a GP Referral.
- Book a consultation with Dr Patrick Briggs by paying a $100 deposit over the phone and the remainder of the consultation fee of $150 at your appointment.
What to Bring to your Plastic Surgeon Consultation
- Bring a friend or relative to help discuss the information and your choices
- Take notes and read the literature provided on the procedures thoroughly
- Want more information before scheduling your consultation?
Request more information about the procedure – call or contact us
- Organise an Online Virtual Consultation with Dr Patrick Briggs
- Browse our website, Facebook and Instagram for further information on your procedure
Please contact us using our contact form to arrange to book a consultation with our Specialist Plastic Surgeon or to speak with our reception staff who will be able to provide you with further information.