Breast Implant Removal/Explant
What is Breast Implant Removal?
Breast Implant Removal or Explant as is sometime referred to is a surgical procedure for patients who are experiencing post-surgical complications with their breast implants such as a rupture, capsular contracture (when breast implants become misshapen or firm) or for those patients who are unhappy with the appearance of their current breast implants.
The reasons for Removal of Breast Implants and Revision Breast Surgery can vary. You may be concerned about the impact your Breast Implants will have on your ability to breastfeed, or in more serious cases, a problem may have developed with your breast implants, such as your breast implant ‘bottoming out’, or a ruptured/deflated breast implant. You may also be concerned about BII or risks of textured implants and BIA-ALCL, or it may simply be that you no longer feel your breast implants fit your physique or lifestyle.
What are the Benefits of a Breast Implant Removal Procedure?
There are times when people who get Breast Implant Surgery aren’t happy with their results in the medium to longer term.
Breast Implant Removal Surgery can help with:
- Breast Implant Complications like implant malposition, double bubble, rupture, capsular contracture
- Life events and other lifestyle changes such as weight loss that may make you want a change in your bra cup size
- Concerns about breastfeeding with implants
- Continually Feeling Ill, having Allergies or unusual symptoms relating to the implant or BII
- Feeling your breast implants no longer suit your body shape or lifestyle
Am I A Good Candidate?
Before deciding on your Surgeon or proceeding with Breast Implant Removal Surgery, there are a few important factors that you should consider:
- Is my preferred Surgeon a highly-skilled, FRCS qualified and experienced Specialist Plastic Surgeon?
- Am I in good health and do I maintain a nutritionally healthy lifestyle?
- Is my procedure going to be performed in a fully accredited Private Hospital?
- Am I choosing to have surgery for the right reasons and at the right time?
- Do I have realistic expectations about what Breast Implant Removal surgery can actually achieve?
- Am I willing and able to undergo an initial recovery period of approximately 3-4 weeks?
Breast Implant Removal Before and After Photos
Want to see more ‘real patient’ Breast Implant Removal before and after surgery photographs, performed in Accredited Perth Hospitals by Dr Briggs, a highly experienced Specialist Plastic Surgeon?
What Can I Expect During Surgery?
There are multiple surgical options when planning for Breast Implant Removal. The surgical approach is based on the extent and cause of the problem as well as the patients desired outcome.
Dr Patrick Briggs will advise a surgical approach that aims to solve your individual symptoms or breast appearance problems. You must keep in mind there is variability in surgical approaches and outcomes that may differ slightly.
Medications and General Anaesthesia are there for your comfort during Breast Implant Removal surgery.
This procedure involves removing breast implants entirely and the in some cases the capsule surrounding the implant, the implants are NOT replaced at the time of surgery. A Breast Lift/Mastopexy may be performed at the same time to achieve a smaller but natural look to compensate for sagging and drooping skin after your implants are removed – but options and outcomes often depend on the amount of existing glandular tissue and elasticity of your skin.
You may choose to remove your Breast Implants due to Rupturing, Rippling, Capsular Contracture, Double Bubble, or simply because you no longer like the look or size of your breast enhancement
This is surgery to remove existing implants not to replace them with new ones. The process of your surgery, as well as the types of incisions, will depend on the type of issue you are correcting.
Risks and Complications
Breast Implant Removal surgery incurs risks and complications like all invasive surgery. Dr Patrick Briggs will make you aware of potential complications during your consultation. This includes general anaesthesia, bleeding (Haematoma), infection, wound healing, deep vein thrombosis, scarring and numbness. Always stay informed and healthy, do not smoke before or after your procedure. Dr Briggs will provide you with literature to read and help you understand your risks.
Recovery from Breast Implant Removal
The length of your recovery following Breast Implant Removal will be dependent on your procedure and other health & lifestyle factors. Recovery times can vary from person to person.
Typically the general rule is that you should allow 4-6 weeks for initial recovery following your Breast Implant Removal surgery. Scar maturation often takes longer, up to a year or more and Dr Patrick Briggs will prescribe massage and ointments to aid in the process. Be sure you wear your garment as instructed and take advantage of the aftercare we provide to assist you during your healing and recovery.
You must consult with Dr Briggs before returning to daily activities such as driving, lifting and exercise.
You will be provided with a post-operative garment at the time op your surgery and it is imperative that you wear the post-operative garments for the designated time frames. Optimum results depend on a collaborative approach and a healthy lifestyle. Follow instructions given to you by Dr Briggs and attend all post-operative appointments as instructed.
Costs – How much is a Breast Implant Removal (Explant Surgery)?
All surgery is customised and Dr Briggs will provide a written estimate for surgery depending on the type of procedure you are having, the hospital you attend and the length of your stay.
At your initial consultation, you are given a detailed quote. This will include a Surgeon’s fee, Anesthetist fee, Surgical Assistant fee and the hospital fees.
We will also provide information on Private Health Insurance and different methods of payment.
About Our Plastic Surgeon – Dr Patrick Briggs FRCS (Plast)
Dr Patrick Briggs offers high quality, natural-looking plastic and cosmetic surgery results and is vastly experienced in Breast, Body and Face Surgery having performed over 4500 Surgeries in private practice. With world-wide expertise Dr Patrick Briggs is an expert in breast, face and body surgery for men and women.
Book your Initial Surgery Consultation
- Email us or Call on 08 9381 9300 to arrange your initial consultation appointment with Dr Patrick Briggs.
- A Referral from your GP or specialist is helpful but NOT essential – you can have a consultation without a GP Referral.
- Book a consultation with Dr Patrick Briggs by paying a $100 deposit over the phone and the remainder of the consultation fee of $150 at your appointment.
What to Bring to your Plastic Surgeon Consultation
- Bring a friend or relative to help discuss the information and your choices
- Take notes and read the literature provided on the procedures thoroughly
- Want more information before scheduling your consultation?
Request more information about the procedure – call or contact us
- Organise an Online Virtual Consultation with Dr Patrick Briggs
- Browse our website, Facebook and Instagram for further information on your procedure
Please contact us using our contact form to arrange to book a consultation with our Specialist Plastic Surgeon or to speak with our reception staff who will be able to provide you with further information.