What is Breast Augmentation?
Are you unsatisfied with the size and firmness of your breasts? If so, chances are high you’ve thought about getting a breast augmentation or boob job. Long gone are the times when breast enhancement was reserved for the rich and famous. With the advancement in both technology and medicine, this procedure has become accessible to a much broader group of women.
Below we give you the information on what breast augmentation is, how it works, and everything you can expect should you decide to have the procedure.
Breast augmentation, also known as augmentation mammoplasty, is a procedure that relies on the usage of breast implants to enhance the size of breasts. A boob job is not only a cosmetic procedure; it can also be reconstructive. For instance, breast enlargement can restore breast volume lost after pregnancy, significant weight loss or breast cancer. In this case, the main goal of a boob job is to provide a more rounded breast shape or support the symmetry of breasts.
For some women, a boob job is about improving confidence and self-esteem, while for others, the procedure is a part of rebuilding breasts, and life in general, after cancer, pregnancy, weight loss, and more. It’s one of the most commonly performed aesthetic procedures.
Not all implants are the same; they can be smooth or textured and saline or silicone.
Am I a candidate for Breast Augmentation?
You’re a good candidate for a boob job if you are in good physical and mental health. Other important eligibility criteria include:
- Realistic expectations
- Asymmetrical breasts
- Fully developed breasts
- Breasts appearing too small
- Insecurity regarding the appearance of breasts
- Dissatisfaction with breasts losing shape after pregnancy or weight loss
- Upper part of breast appearing “empty”
- One or both breasts failed to develop properly
It’s important to mention that breast augmentation is not for everyone. Factors that don’t make you eligible for this procedure include:
- Unrealistic expectation for post-surgery results
- Breast cancer or an abnormal mammogram
- Pregnancy or breastfeeding
- Illness or presence of infection
What are the benefits of Breast Augmentation?
Advantages of getting breast surgery are numerous, including:
- Bigger breasts
- Confidence boost
- Improved body contour
- Symmetrical breasts
- Increased firmness
- Added volume and curves
- Feeling more youthful
- Better-looking cleavage area
Download Breast Augmentation checklist
A breast augmentation checklist is an easy way to prepare for the consultation and procedure. Download it here.
Breast Augmentation Before and After Photos
Taking a look at previous breast enhancement procedures speaks volumes about the expertise of a specific surgeon, and Dr Briggs is not an exception. See before and after photos here.
What can I expect during Breast Augmentation?
Patient satisfaction after breast surgery is high, as confirmed by a study from the Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery. The procedure involves a great deal of planning of incisions, pocket plan, and a myriad of implant characteristics.
Boob job requires general anaesthesia which puts you to sleep throughout the surgery. To insert the breast implant, Dr Briggs will make a single incision in the crease under the breast or under your arm. After creating an incision, Dr Briggs proceeds to separate the breast tissue from the muscles and connective tissue of the chest. This action creates a pocket behind or in front of the pectoral muscle. The implant goes into this pocket, and it is centred behind the nipple.
Once the implant is in place, Dr Briggs closes the incision with sutures and bandages it with a surgical tape and skin adhesive.
Download a free guide
Download a FREE GUIDE TO YOUR PROCEDURE that can help navigate your patient journey, explains what to expect, and offers much-needed and supportive guidance you need.
Take advantage of our free eBook guides that include resources for plastic surgery patients. They’ll assist with your journey from thinking about having plastic surgery to aftercare and recovery.
If you’d like more information about a particular surgery, please call our surgical support team on (03) 8849 1444 between 9am – 5am weekdays.
Recovery after Breast Augmentation
After the procedure, before you go home, you will get detailed instructions that will support your recovery. You are likely to experience pain and swelling for up to a few weeks after the procedure. Painkillers can help decrease pain. Acute pain can subside after one to five days, but swelling and general discomfort can last for weeks.
Bruising is also normal, scars too. You may expect scars to fade over time, but they won’t disappear entirely.
To support the healing process, you may want to wear a compression bandage or a sports bra. During the first few weeks of the recovery, you will need to avoid strenuous activities for two weeks minimum. You can expect to return to work within a few weeks if you don’t have a physically demanding job.
The breasts will be sensitive to touch during the healing process.
The results of a boob job are visible right away – bigger breasts, but it may take several weeks to notice final results as the swelling subsides and the skin stretches.
Patients who have undergone a boob job due to asymmetry or small breasts may need to wear a bandeau to shape their breasts.
During recovery, you will need to sleep on the back and avoid sleeping on your stomach. Avoid using ointments and creams on the incision before consulting Dr Briggs.
Minimising Scars after Breast Augmentation Mammoplasty
It is important to remember that all surgical procedures leave scars, including ‘so-called’ scarless methods.
Experienced plastic surgeons are extremely careful about scar placement and minimisation, with surgical scars generally fading over time with most scars being barely visible after 12 months.
We will arrange weekly post-op appointments with our specialist nursing team after your procedure to ensure everything is healing well and to monitor your progress.
You will see your surgeon and/or nurse and/or dermal team about six to eight weeks later for a scar consultation and organise scar minimisation treatments.
The Coco Ruby dermal team conducts a series of follow-up scar treatments using a customised selection of Skin Needling, Healite II LED and massaging with oils, Fraxel Laser, V-Laser, Silicone strips & gels and Steroids can also help minimise scars. Ask the Coco Ruby Team!
Note – The length of your recovery period will depend on your procedure and your health and lifestyle factors. Recovery times can vary from person to person – resting helps healing.
Please avoid subjecting your incision to abrasion or excessive stresses during the recovery period.
Boob Job FAQ
What is the difference between breast augmentation and breast implants?
- Breast augmentation is just the name of the procedure to enlarge the size of the breasts, while breast implants are medical devices inserted during the surgery.
What does breast augmentation mean?
- Breast augmentation means the enlargement of the breasts through the insertion of implants.
Do breast implants feel different to touch a man?
- The feeling depends on the type of the implant, the size of the implant in relation to the original breast size, and the placement. Scar tissue can also affect how breast implants feel to the touch.
What is the fastest way to increase breast size?
- Regular breast massage and a healthful diet are often dubbed as the solutions for increasing breast size. But the only proven effective way to make it happen is to get breast implants. Or for temporary effects – a push-up bra.
What age is best for breast augmentation?
- The average age of women who get a boob job is 34. There is no optimal age for this procedure, as long as you’re in good physical and mental health.
Which type of breast implants feels the most natural?
- Silicone breast implants tend to feel more natural than their saline counterparts.
How painful is breast augmentation recovery?
- Pain after a boob job is normal, and it’s most severe in the first few days. Then, it gradually alleviates. The intensity of pain varies from one woman to another, depending on your pain tolerance.
How long after breast augmentation can they be touched?
- Your breasts will be sensitive to touch for about three weeks after the boob job, or even longer.
Why can I feel my breast implants?
- You can feel breast implants because there is no muscle covering the implants at the side or bottom of the breast. As long as you’re not experiencing pain or noticing a difference in appearance, there’s nothing to be concerned about.
Can you tell if someone has breast implants?
- A significant increase in breast size is easy to spot. It can be tricky to notice subtle increases in breast sizes, but it’s also possible. Keep in mind that with improved technology, boob job results are more natural than before.
What do breast implants look like when you’re old?
- Breast implants add more weight to the breasts, thus accelerating the progression of sagging. However, properly-sized implants do the best job of maintaining the longevity of your breasts and yield long-lasting results.
Is there an alternative to breast implants?
- An alternative to breast implants is a fat transfer which relies on the fat cells from your body to enhance breast tissue.
How long does it take for breast implants to look normal?
- In four to six weeks post-op, your breasts should look and feel more natural.
How many ccs is a size C implant?
- The general rule of thumb is that one cup size is 175cc. So, a woman who wears A-cup and wants to be a full C-cup will need 350cc implants.
Do breast implants feel heavy?
- During the healing process, your breasts could feel heavy. This heaviness occurs due to muscle healing and skin stretching. However, the actual weight of the implants is minimal.
What happens at six weeks post-op breast augmentation?
- Most patients reach the end of the recovery process at six weeks post-op. At this point, the pain goes away as well.
How much is Breast Augmentation in Melbourne?
The costs of a boob job depend on various factors such as:
- Surgeon’s reputation, level of expertise, qualifications
- What is included in the surgical quote or price estimate?
- Where is surgery performed?
- When is surgery performed?
- Whether a boob job is a medically-indicated or cosmetic procedure
- The complexity of the patient’s case
Low-cost breast augmentation procedures in Melbourne range from $8000 to $10,000 while mid-range boob job surgeries go from $10,000 to $14,500. High-range procedures start at $14,600 and may go up to $20,000 or even higher. Learn more about the prices of breast enlargement here.
Health insurance providers generally do not cover the costs of an elective boob job for cosmetic purposes. They may provide coverage if the breast enhancement procedure is performed for reconstructive and medically initiated purposes such as implants after breast cancer removal surgery. To learn more about funding and payment options, click here.
How to find the best Breast Augmentation surgeon in Melbourne
Your surgical results will depend on the surgeon you choose. Since breast augmentation is a major procedure, you’ll need a top breast augmentation plastic surgeon. A reputable breast augmentation surgeon has the following qualities:
- A Specialist Plastic Surgeon who is a Member of ASPS5 star online reviews from patients.
- Extensive experience in different types of mammoplasty.
- Patient Before and After Photos .
- Empathy and caring with recovery and aftercare.
- A great support team with long term follow up.
Causes for having Breast Augmentation
Women often opt for breast augmentation to:
- Improve self-confidence
- Correct uneven breasts
- Increase the size of the breasts
- Address disproportionally small breasts
- Reconstruct breasts after mastectomy
- Improve the appearance of breasts after pregnancy or significant weight loss
Risks and complications
Possible risks and complications associated with breast enhancement procedure include:
- Anaesthesia risks
- Poor scarring
- Persistent pain
- Changes in breast/nipple sensation
- Wrinkling of the skin over the implant
- Development of tight scar tissue around the implant i.e. capsular contracture
- Implant rupture/leakage
- Faulty position of the implant
- Possibility of having to undergo a revision surgery
Boob job can be performed on its own or in combination with other procedures such as mastopexy (breast lift), abdominoplasty (tummy tuck), and liposuction.
Health Direct – Breast augmentation (breast implants)
University of Michigan – Breast augmentation implant and procedure types
University of California San Francisco – Breast augmentation
- Haematoma – blood collection that can accumulate around the breast implant
- Pectoral muscle – the outermost muscle of the chest wall
- Seroma – a collection of fluid that accumulates under the surface of the skin
- Suture – a stitch
Celebrities having Breast Augmentation
Boob job is, probably, the most common cosmetic procedure among celebrities right alongside nose job. The list of celebrities who have undergone breast augmentation surgery is long and includes, but isn’t limited to, these names:
- Victoria Beckham
- Cardi B
- Kourtney Kardashian
- Iggy Azalea
- NeNe Leaks
- Kaley Cuoco
- Kelly Rowland
- Anna Faris
- Gisele Bundchen
- Drew Barrymore
- Jesinta Franklin
Is it worth it?
Boob job helps women improve body contour and confidence. With improved confidence, you can expect an improved quality of life. However, the decision of whether to undergo breast augmentation is all down to you. Consultation with Dr Briggs can help you decide faster and be confident in your choice.
How old – how young?
Breast enhancement, like other procedures, is not performed in patients under 18 years of age. There is no maximum age limit for this procedure; it depends on your general health and wellbeing.
It’s natural to wonder about non-surgical alternatives before you decide to get breast implants. Generally speaking, bigger and firmer breasts require a boob job as the most effective approach. However, some non-surgical options are also available, including:
- Vacuum bras
- Injectable fillers
- Botox breast lift
- Fat grafting
- Breast-firming creams
- External breast prostheses and “falsies”
The efficacy of non-surgical methods is limited and questionable, which is why breast augmentation stands as the most convenient way to achieve the results you want.
Planning your Breast Augmentation patient journey
Your breast augmentation patient journey starts with scheduling an appointment to see Dr Briggs for consultation. An appointment is a perfect opportunity for you to talk about the reasons behind the interest to undergo a boob job and the results you expect to see. Dr Briggs will carefully examine your breasts and recommend the most suitable approach for your needs.
Why choose Dr Briggs?
Dr Briggs is the best choice you can make for your breast surgery. As a specialist plastic and reconstructive surgeon, Dr Briggs is known for detailed planning and in-depth experience to ensure his patients love the results.
His immense experience and expertise, combined with a strong desire to help patients are the main reasons behind Dr Briggs’s outstanding reputation. Considering that he values knowledge, Dr Briggs aims to educate his patients about every aspect of the surgeries they want to undergo.
Dr Briggs is a member of the Australian Society of Plastic Surgeons, Australasian Society of Aesthetic Plastic Surgeons, the American Society of Plastic Surgeons, the International Society of Aesthetic Plastic Surgery, and Fellow of the Royal Australasian College of Surgeons. Learn more about Dr Briggs here.
Dr Patrick Briggs Melbourne Plastic Surgeon – FRCS (Plas)
Specialist Plastic and Cosmetic Surgery Clinic in Melbourne
Dr Patrick Briggs is a Specialist Plastic and Cosmetic Surgeon. Both he and his team are dedicated to excellence in patient care and are committed to treating each and every patient with respect and privacy.
Not only does he offer high-quality results he also offers natural-looking plastic and cosmetic surgery results. Furthermore, he is experienced in Breast, Body and Face Surgery having performed over 4500 Surgeries in private practice.
How can we help?
Dr Briggs’ Patient Coordinators take pleasure in assisting you with any questions when considering a plastic surgery procedure. Please call the Hawthorn East clinic in Melbourne between 8 am – 6 pm on Weekdays.
Want more information about your Procedure?
What to Bring to Your Consultation
- If you like, please bring a friend or relative to help discuss the information and your choices.
- Take a lot of notes and thoroughly examine the documents your surgeon provides.
- You may need to undress so it’s a good idea to wear simple clothes.