Cosmetic Breast Surgery
Plastic Surgery for Breast Enhancement in Melbourne, Victoria
- Do you have underdeveloped breasts?
- Are you bothered by the appearance of your sagging breasts following pregnancy or significant weight fluctuations?
- Do you have overly large breasts that impair your daily activities as well as quality of life?
What is Breast Surgery?
Breast surgery refers to a group of procedures aimed at enhancing the appearance of your breasts, correcting breast deformities, or reconstructing your breasts after surgical removal. The type of breast surgery that your breast surgeon will perform will depend on your condition, body type, and aesthetic goals.
Dr Briggs specialises in the following breast enlargement and breast reshaping surgeries:
Am I a Good Candidate for Breast Surgery?
To ensure you receive the best breast surgery, your breast surgeon will assess your condition, health history, amount of breast tissue and lifestyle, as well as your cosmetic goals during your consultation. In general, you are a good candidate for breast surgery if you:
- Are in good overall health.
- Are mentally stable.
- Don’t have a bleeding or clotting disorder.
- Don’t have an extreme degree of breast sagging.
- Have breast sagging due to aging, pregnancy, breastfeeding, or significant weight loss.
- Have low self-esteem due to the appearance of your breasts.
- You could also be a good candidate if you have complications associated with primary breast surgery.
- Have a good amount of breast tissue.
- Suffer from inverted nipples.
- Have overly large breasts that cause skin irritation, redness, infection, back pain, headaches, and other discomforts.
- Are realistic about what the procedure can accomplish.
- Want to replace your breast implants.
- Breasts are too small.
- Are willing to commit to a healthy lifestyle after surgery.
What are the Benefits of Breast Surgery
If performed by a top surgeon, breast surgery can offer the following benefits:
- Breast contour that is in proportion with the rest of your body
- Improved body posture
- Improved breast appearance
- Increased self-confidence
- Improved quality of life
- Lower risk of skin irritation, infection, and other physical discomforts
- More clothing options
- Positive outlook in life
Breast Surgery Before and After Photos
See more real patient before and after photos performed in Melbourne by Specialist Plastic Surgeon Dr Patrick Briggs.
What are the Most Popular Breast Surgery Procedures
The following are the well-known breast procedures:
- Breast augmentation
- This surgical procedure makes use of breast implants to enlarge your breasts.
- Breast lift
- This procedure involves reshaping and lifting your breast by removing excess skin and fat.
- Breast reduction
- This procedure involves the removal of excess fat, skin, and breast tissue to achieve a breast contour that is in proportion with your body.
- Breast implant revision surgery
- The surgery is done to replace your old, aging implants.
- Breast implant removal
- This surgical procedure is performed to correct complications of your primary breast augmentation.
- Inverted Nipple Correction
- This procedure reshapes your areola and nipple so that the nipple comes out from your breast.
- Mummy makeover surgery
- This is a combination of procedures aimed at improving the appearance of your breasts and abdomen after pregnancy.
Download A Free Guide
Download our free eBook guides that include resources for plastic surgery patients. They’ll assist with your journey from thinking about having plastic surgery to aftercare and recovery.
If you’d like more information about a particular surgery, please call our surgical support team on 1300 264811 between 9am – 5am weekdays.
Recovery after Breast Surgery
It is important to keep in mind that the recovery time of breast surgery may vary from patient to patient. Some patients may require shorter downtime while others will take several weeks to recover. The length of your recovery will greatly depend on several factors such as; the extent and type of your surgery, your healing ability, your body type, and your treatment goals.
Immediately after your surgery, you may experience soreness, bruising, and pain on your surgical site. These discomforts can be alleviated by taking pain relievers and anti-inflammatories.
To support your healing breasts, you may need to wear a support bra or compression garments.
In addition, you will be advised to prevent strenuous activities to avoid tension on your suture lines.
Minimising Scars after Breast Augmentation Mammoplasty
It is important to remember that all surgical procedures leave scars, including ‘so-called’ scarless methods.
Experienced plastic surgeons are extremely careful about scar placement and minimisation, with surgical scars generally fading over time with most scars being barely visible after 12 months.
We will arrange weekly post-op appointments with our specialist nursing team after your procedure to ensure everything is healing well and to monitor your progress.
You will see your surgeon and/or nurse and/or dermal team about six to eight weeks later for a scar consultation and organise scar minimisation treatments.
The Coco Ruby dermal team conducts a series of follow-up scar treatments using a customised selection of Skin Needling, Healite II LED and massaging with oils, Fraxel Laser, V-Laser, Silicone strips & gels and Steroids can also help minimise scars. Ask the Coco Ruby Team!
Note – The length of your recovery period will depend on your procedure and your health and lifestyle factors. Recovery times can vary from person to person – resting helps healing.
Please avoid subjecting your incision to abrasion or excessive stresses during the recovery period.
FAQ about Breast Surgery
Will breast surgery increase your risk of breast cancer?
Breast surgery will not increase your risk of getting breast cancer. Moreover, having breast implants will not hinder the detection of breast tumours.
How many months should you delay pregnancy after having breast implants?
It is recommended to postpone pregnancy for at least 6 months after your surgery. This allows your breasts to adjust to their new shape and size.
Can you have breast implants if you have sagging skin?
This will depend on the degree of skin sagging. If you have extreme sagging of the skin, another procedure may be needed to lift your breasts so that they appear younger and well-defined.
Breast implants are recommended for patients with a mild degree of skin sagging. During your consultation with a top surgeon, your breast condition will be first assessed if you are a good candidate for breast implants.
How much is Breast Surgery? Costs and Prices
Just like recovery time, the costs and prices of breast surgery may also vary. This will greatly depend on several factors such as your surgeon’s fees, anesthesiologist’s fees, hospital fees, type of surgery and anesthesia used, and your desired breast surgery results.
To get a detailed estimate of the total costs of your procedure, schedule a consultation with a renowned cosmetic surgeon.
Funding Breast Surgery – Medicare, Payment Plans and Super
Some Breast Surgery procedures may be eligible for Medicare.
Purely cosmetic Breast Surgery procedures are usually NOT covered by Medicare or private health insurance so you must fund the cost of the surgery yourself.
Many patients ask about payment options and medical finance – You can learn more about payment options for funding your Breast Surgery procedure on our Funding Surgery page here.
Your super fund may also be able to help pay for your procedure in certain circumstances – visit the Super for Surgery page to find out about early release of super on compassionate grounds.
How to find the best
Breast Surgeon in Melbourne
Your surgical results will depend on the surgeon you choose. Since breast implant is a major procedure, you’ll need a top breast plastic surgeon. A reputable breast surgeon has the following qualities:
- A Specialist Plastic Surgeon who is a Member of ASPS5 star online reviews from patients.
- Extensive experience in different types of breast surgery procedures.
- Patient Before and After Photos .
- Empathy and caring with recovery and aftercare.
- A great support team with long term follow up.
What are the Risks of a Breast Procedure?
The following are the risks associated with the procedure:
- Allergic reaction to anesthesia such as skin rashes and difficulty breathing
- Capsular contracture
- Changes in skin sensation
- Delayed wound healing
- Implant leakage or rupture
- Increasing pain at the surgical site
- Numbness in one or both breasts
- Possibility of revision surgery
- Pus draining from your wound
- Rippling of the implant
- Severe swelling
- Skin discoloration
- Skin loss
- Sutures that protrude through the skin
- Unwanted scarring
- Wound dehiscence
- Wrong or faulty position of the implant
Commonly combined surgery
A Breast Surgery can be performed on its own or in combination with other surgical procedures such as liposuction. Breast Surgery can also be performed with a procedure on another part of the body – for example breast and tummy surgery is commonly combined as a Mummy Makeover.
As a guide it is best not to exceed a total of 4-6 hours of surgery and also to work on associated parts of the breast, body or face. See the BLOG on Combining Different Surgeries.
Dr Patrick Briggs
Specialist Plastic and Cosmetic Surgery Clinic in Melbourne
Dr Patrick Briggs is a Specialist Plastic and Cosmetic Surgeon. Both he and his team are dedicated to excellence in patient care and are committed to treating each and every patient with respect and privacy.
Dr Patrick Briggs offers not only high quality but also natural-looking plastic and cosmetic surgery results. Furthermore, he is experienced in Breast, Body and Face Surgery having performed over 4500 Surgeries in private practice.
How can we help?
Dr Briggs’ Patient Coordinators take pleasure in assisting you with any questions when considering a plastic surgery procedure. Please call the Hawthorn East clinic in Melbourne between 8 am – 6 pm on Weekdays.
Want more information about your Procedure?
What to Bring to Your Consultation
- If you like, please bring a friend or relative to help discuss the information and your choices.
- Take a lot of notes and thoroughly examine the documents your surgeon provides.
- You may need to undress so it’s a good idea to wear simple clothes.