Body Surgery Procedures in Melbourne
Body Surgery & Contouring - Plastic & Cosmetic Surgery Procedures - Melbourne, VIC
Dr Patrick Briggs offers a wide variety of Plastic and Cosmetic Body Surgery procedures. Body surgery can be tailored to suit both male and female bodies and Dr Briggs will be able to advise what procedure suits your own individual anatomy.
Common Cosmetic Surgery Procedures
What is Body Surgery?
Body contouring surgery is a group of procedures aimed at improving the appearance of your body as well as increasing your self-confidence. These procedures remove excess fat, skin, and tissue from your body to reshape the area. Once the surgical incisions have completely healed, the treated area becomes firmer, smoother, and well-defined. Depending on your condition, whole body surgery can be tailored to suit your cosmetic and medical needs.
Am I a Good Candidate?
During your consultation, your surgeon will assess your condition, body type, health history, treatment goals, and expectations to determine if a full body surgery is right for you. In general, you are a good candidate for the procedure if:
- You are bothered by the appearance of a certain part of your body.
- You are physically healthy.
- You don’t smoke.
- You have low self-esteem.
- You have pockets of fat in your abdomen.
- You have realistic expectations.
- You have sagging or loose skin in your arms, abdomen, thighs, or other parts of your body.
- You have a stable weight.
What are the Benefits?
Whether it’s a tummy surgery or torso surgery, undergoing body surgery can give you the following benefits:
- Better body proportion
- Firmer arms and thighs
- Flatter, well-defined abdomen
- Improved body posture
- Improved quality of life
- Improved self-esteem an confidence
- Lower chance of skin infection
- Lower risk of skin irritation due to sagging skin
- More clothing options
- More masculine chest
- Reduced stretch marks
- Smoother, radiant, younger-looking skin
- Well-toned appearance of your body
What are the Most Popular Body Surgery Procedures?
The following are the most well-known body contouring procedures:
- Tummy tuck: Also known as abdominoplasty, this is a surgical procedure that tightens your abdomen by removing excess skin and fat. For those with a larger amount of redundant skin an extended tummy tuck may be performed.
- Arm reduction: Also known as brachioplasty, this surgery improves the appearance of your upper arms and underarm area by removing excess skin and fat.
- Body lift: Also known as torsoplasty, this procedure improves the appearance of your abdomen and buttocks by removing excess skin and fat and tightening the abdominal muscles.
- Labiaplasty: This surgical procedure improves the appearance of your vagina, resulting in improved sexual function and a lower risk of pain and irritation.
- Liposuction: This minimally invasive procedure removes fat deposits beneath your skin by using a thin tube and a powerful vacuum.
- Male breast reduction: This surgical procedure reduces the size of abnormally large male breasts by removing excess fat and tissue.
- Mummy makeover: This is a combination of procedures such as breast augmentation, breast lift, and tummy tuck, and is recommended after pregnancy.
- Thigh lift: This surgical procedure improves the appearance of your thighs by removing excess skin and fat.
Frequently Asked Questions
Some body surgeries can be performed at the same time with minimal risks. However, other surgeries that are performed at once can increase your risk of developing problems and other complications. To ensure your safety, consult with a top surgeon with vast experience in body contouring surgeries.
The ideal age to have body surgery will depend on the type of procedure you want to undergo. For instance, breast surgeries are recommended for younger patients since they have elastic skin and a good amount of breast tissue. On the other hand, body contouring procedures aimed at improving the appearance of wrinkles, sagging skin, and loose skin are best performed in older patients. To know the ideal surgery that will suit your anatomy, lifestyle, and cosmetic goals, schedule a consultation with a top surgeon.
Make sure to verify the policy of your private health insurance to determine if you can make a claim on the costs of your desired procedure. Usually, if a body surgery is done for cosmetic purposes, your private health insurance will not pay for your procedure. On the other hand, if the goal of your body contouring surgery is to treat a certain medical condition (e.g. thigh lift to reduce skin irritation and infection), then you are eligible for a health insurance claim. By consulting with a renowned specialist plastic surgeon, you will know not only your treatment options but also your financing options.
Costs and prices of body surgery may vary. These include your surgeon’s fees, anaesthetist fees, hospital fees, type of surgery and anaesthesia used, and your desired aesthetic results. During your consultation, your surgeon will give you a detailed estimate of the total costs of your procedure.
Whether it’s a body fat surgery or torso surgery, there are risks associated with the procedure such as:
- Allergic reaction to anaesthesia
- Body weakness
- Changes in skin sensation
- Delayed wound healing
- Increasing pain at the surgical site
- Numbness in one or both sides of your body
- Pus draining from your wound
- Severe swelling
- Skin discoloration
- Skin loss
- Sutures that protrude through the skin
- Unwanted scarring
- Wound dehiscence
The recovery time after any procedure may vary from patient to patient. This will greatly depend on several factors such as the type and extent of your surgery, surgeon’s skills, your healing ability, and desired results. Whether it’s an upper-body or lower body surgery, your surgeon will give you specific instructions during your consultation on how to speed up your recovery. These include refraining from cigarette smoking and stopping medications that may impair your wound healing.
Anaesthesia – Drugs used during a surgical procedure to relieve pain and other discomforts.
Hematoma – Visible pooling of blood under your skin.
Hemorrhage – Uncontrolled bleeding
Wound dehiscence – Partial or total separation of wound edges after it has been sutured.
Choosing the Best Plastic Surgeon in Australia
There are huge differences between cosmetic surgeons and plastic surgeons with respect to their education, training, qualifications, operating rights and more. Dr Patrick Briggs is a highly experienced plastic surgery expert and member of FRCS, ISAPS, ASAPS and ASPS, all of which are protected medical titles and ensure a certain (minimum) level of expertise and experience. Moreover, he is a specialist plastic surgeon that is qualified to operate in accredited hospitals around Australia.
Plastic Versus Cosmetic Surgeons
There are definite benefits to choosing a plastic surgeon over a cosmetic surgeon, and it is important for you to know who your surgeon really is. Advertising is often deceptive, and “cosmetic surgeons” are NOT specialist plastic surgeons. A cosmetic surgeon could just be a regular GP who has decided to perform body surgery, whereas a qualified specialist plastic surgeon will have years of study and membership from their governing body (ASAPS, ASPS, ASPS-USA, ISAPS).
Unfortunately, it doesn’t require much training to become a ‘cosmetic surgeon’ in Australia, the existing medical laws allow almost any doctor with basic qualifications to perform these surgeries, should they choose to. Not all surgeons who perform all body surgeries in Melbourne have extensive training.
Why Choose Dr Briggs?
Dr Briggs is a highly skilled and well-trained Specialist Plastic Surgeon with experience in all fields of cosmetic surgery. He has worked in the field of cosmetic and plastic surgery for over 20 years and is specialised in body procedures.
He performs surgeries with extreme precision and up-to-date approaches. Book a consultation now to begin your journey.
About Dr Patrick Briggs FRCS (Plast) - Specialist Plastic Surgeon in Melbourne
Dr Patrick Briggs offers high quality, natural-looking plastic and cosmetic surgery results and is vastly experienced in Breast, Body and Face Surgery having performed over 4500 Surgeries in private practice. With world-wide expertise Dr Patrick Briggs is an expert in breast, face and body surgery for men and women.
YOUR NEXT STEPS
Book your Initial Surgery Consultation
- Email us or Call on 1300 264 811 to arrange your initial consultation appointment with Dr Patrick Briggs.
- A Referral from your GP or specialist is helpful but NOT essential – you can have a consultation without a GP Referral.
- Your initial Consultation Booking Fee with a Specialist Surgeon is $300 and your booking fee is paid ahead of your appointment and will secure your consultation date. You can pay by phone by calling us to book an appointment time. We have online payment methods if necessary.
What to Bring to your Plastic Surgeon Consultation
- It can be helpful to bring a friend or relative to help discuss the information and your choices
- Take notes and read the literature provided on the procedures thoroughly
- Want more information before scheduling your consultation?
Request more information about the procedure – call or contact us
- Browse our websites, Facebook and Instagram for further information on your procedure
- Organise an Online Virtual Consultation with Dr Patrick Briggs
Please contact us using our contact form to arrange to book a consultation with our Specialist Plastic Surgeon or to speak with our reception staff who will be able to provide you with further information.