Is Thigh Lift Surgery Effective?
Learn more about the safety and efficacy of thigh lift surgery in treating unwanted fat and excess skin on your thigh region.
Are you unhappy with the appearance of your thighs?
Do you have stubborn fat in your thigh region that doesn’t respond to regular diet and exercise?
Are you suffering from skin irritation, pain, or chaffing due to excessive friction and moisture in your thighs?
If you’re experiencing these conditions, you may benefit from a procedure called a thigh lift.
This surgical procedure removes excess skin and fat in your thighs, resulting in smoother, firmer, and younger-looking skin.
What are the Causes of Sagging Thighs?
Several factors can contribute to the development of sagging thighs, including:
- Ageing: The age-related collagen loss causes your skin to become less elastic, which makes sagging more noticeable.
- Ehlers-Danlos syndrome (EDS): This is a rare, inherited connective tissue disorder that is characterized by impaired collagen production, resulting in sagging skin.
- Weight fluctuations: Being overweight or obese damages your collagen and elastin fibers. After significant weight loss, you may notice that your skin loses its ability to snap back to its original position, resulting in loose skin.
- Pregnancy: Weight gain during pregnancy stretches your skin. As a result, your skin may sag or become loose after you gave birth.
Are you an Ideal Candidate for a Thigh Lift?
In general, you are a good candidate for the procedure if you:
- Are bothered by the excess skin and fat on the inner, outer, or medial region of your thighs.
- Are mentally stable.
- Don’t have a history of clotting or bleeding disorders.
- Are willing to adhere to Dr. Patrick Briggs’s instructions after the procedure.
- Are willing to live a healthy lifestyle after the procedure.
- Don’t smoke.
- Have a stable weight.
- Have realistic expectations regarding the procedure.
- Want firmer, younger-looking thighs.
- Want to stay free from skin irritations caused by sagging skin on your thighs.
What are the Benefits of a Thigh Lift?
The procedure can offer the following benefits:
- Better body proportion
- Increased self-confidence and self-esteem
- More clothing options
- Well-toned appearance of your thighs
- Reduced risk of skin irritation in your thigh region
Thigh Lift Before and After Photos
Visit the clinic to see the real patient photo gallery of Before and After Thigh Lift surgery photographs representing typical results our patients get. Results depend on individual patient circumstances and can vary significantly.
What happens during a Thigh Lift?
Intravenous sedation and general anaesthesia are administered during the procedure to prevent any discomfort. Depending on your condition and desired cosmetic results, Dr Patrick Briggs will perform the following incision techniques in your thighs:
- Inner thigh lift incision: an incision starting from your groin and around the back of your thigh.
- Medial thigh lift incision: Also known as inner thigh lift incision, the incision is made in the area between your thighs and pubic region.
- Outer thigh lift incision: An incision starting from your groin going to the area around your hip and across your back.
Once the incisions are created, Dr Briggs will remove excess fat and skin from your thighs to reshape the area. Then he will close the incisions using sutures or adhesive tapes.
Download a free guide
Take advantage of our FREE GUIDE TO YOUR PROCEDURE that includes resources for plastic surgery patients. They’ll assist with your journey from thinking about having plastic surgery to aftercare and recovery.
If you’d like more information about a particular surgery, please call our surgical support team on 1300 264 811 between 9 am – 5 pm on weekdays.
What to Expect during your Recovery Period?
After your thigh lift surgery, your surgical incisions may feel sore and painful. You may need to take pain relievers and anti-inflammatories regularly to reduce discomfort.
If your condition is stable, Dr Patrick Briggs will allow you to go home and will provide you with prescriptions and wound care instructions. He will also schedule a follow-up appointment.
Your recovery time will depend on the extent of your surgery. It is recommended to rest as much as possible and avoid any unnecessary movements to prevent tension on your incision lines.
After 1 month, bruising and swelling of your incision sites has usually gone.
In 4 to 6 months, you can engage in strenuous activities and you can resume your daily routine.
Minimising Scars after Thigh Lift Surgery
It is important to remember that all surgical procedures leave scars, including ‘so-called’ scarless methods.
Experienced plastic surgeons are extremely careful about scar placement and minimisation, with surgical scars generally fading over time with most scars being barely visible after 12 months.
We will arrange weekly post-op appointments with our specialist nursing team after your procedure to ensure everything is healing well and to monitor your progress.
You will see your surgeon and/or nurse and/or dermal team about six to eight weeks later for a scar consultation and organise scar minimisation treatments.
The Coco Ruby dermal team conducts a series of follow-up scar treatments using a customised selection of Skin Needling, Healite II LED and massaging with oils, Fraxel Laser, V-Laser, Silicone strips & gels and Steroids can also help minimise scars. Ask the Coco Ruby Team!
Note – The length of your recovery period will depend on your procedure and your health and lifestyle factors. Recovery times can vary from person to person – resting helps healing.
Please avoid subjecting your incision to abrasion or excessive stresses during the recovery period.
Thigh Lift FAQ’s and Questions about Thigh Reduction
Do thigh lifts work?
Absolutely, thigh lifts work wonders. If you have tried every diet and exercise on the planet but simply cannot get rid of loose skin, a thigh lift is a way to go.
Do I need a thigh lift or liposuction?
Thigh lift surgery is recommended for people with sagging skin. Sometimes, liposuction is a part of the thigh lift procedure.
Liposuction is recommended for people who have been looking to lose fat in targeted areas and do not experience sagging skin.
Can you have a tummy tuck and thigh lift at the same time?
Yes, you can get a tummy tuck and a thigh lift at the same time. Schedule a consultation with a board-certified surgeon to plan the process.
How much is a Thigh lift in Melbourne? Prices and Costs
Many Thigh lift patients ask about the price and whether the procedure is covered by Medicare or Private health Insurance. Thigh Surgery prices can vary depending on the time and extent of surgery required.
All procedures are individualized and customised to achieve the ideal results for you and your excess skin concerns. For this reason, it is hard to determine an exact price that would be valid for a thigh lift patient without a consultation first.
During the consultation, Dr Briggs will talk to you about your wishes, possibilities, and expectations that you have from plastic surgery. You will also receive a specific quote for your Thigh lift operation after the consultation.
If you need more information, visit our pricing page to learn more about payment, approximate prices, payment methods, and more.
Funding Thigh Lift Surgery – Medicare, Payment Plans and Super
Some Thigh Lift Surgery procedures may be eligible for Medicare.
Purely cosmetic Thigh Lift Surgery procedures are usually NOT covered by Medicare or private health insurance so you must fund the cost of the surgery yourself.
Many patients ask about payment options and medical finance – You can learn more about payment options for funding your Thigh Lift Surgery procedure on our Funding Surgery page here.
Your super fund may also be able to help pay for your procedure in certain circumstances – visit the Super for Surgery page to find out about early release of super on compassionate grounds.
How to find the best Thigh Lift surgeon in Melbourne
Your surgical results will depend on the surgeon you choose. Since thigh lift is a major procedure, you’ll need a top thigh lift plastic surgeon. A reputable thigh lift surgeon has the following qualities:
- A Specialist Plastic Surgeon who is a Member of ASPS
- Many 5 star online reviews from patients.
- Extensive experience in different types of thigh lift surgery.
- Can see Patient Before and After Photos
- Empathy and caring with recovery and aftercare.
- A great support team with long-term follow up.
Does Thigh Lift Correct Skin Sagging after Massive Weight Loss?
Several lines of evidence support the safety and efficacy of a thigh lift in improving the contour of the thighs.
In a 2019 study, researchers reported that medial thigh lift safely provided aesthetic improvement in patients with massive weight loss. 
In another study, researchers found a significant improvement in the appearance of the thighs of women who had a medial thigh lift. The procedure was also free of major complications. 
Finally, a 2020 study showed that thigh lift improved thigh appearance as well as the psychological and social aspects of life in patients who had massive weight loss. 
Are you planning to get rid of the sagging skin in your thighs? Do you want your thighs to achieve smoother, younger-looking skin with natural results? Schedule a consultation with one of our highly experienced surgeons now to know your treatment options.
What are the Risks and Complications of a Thigh Lift?
The procedure also comes with risks and complications, such as:
- Allergic reaction to anesthesia
- Changes in skin sensation
- Delayed wound healing
- Difficulty moving one or both legs
- Fluid accumulation
- Increasing pain at the surgical site
- Nerve damage
- Poor cosmetic results
- Possible need for revisional surgery
- Pus draining at the wound site
- Recurrent looseness of skin on your thighs
- Separation or reopening of the wound
- Skin discoloration
- Skin irritation caused by sutures that spontaneously surface through your skin
- Unsightly scarring
Commonly combined /associated surgery
A Thigh Lift Surgery can be performed on its own or in combination with other surgical procedures such as liposuction. Thigh Lift Surgery can also be performed with a procedure on another part of the body – for example breast and tummy surgery is commonly combined as a Mummy Makeover.
As a guide it is best not to exceed a total of 4-6 hours of surgery and also to work on associated parts of the breast, body or face. See the BLOG on Combining Different Surgeries.
Further reading – Medical references
- Di Pietro V, Gianfranco MC, Cervelli V, Gentile P. Medial Thigh Contouring in Massive Weight Loss: A Liposuction-Assisted Medial Thigh Lift. World J Plast Surg. 2019;8(2):171-180. doi:10.29252/wjps.8.2.171. Retrieved from https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6620815/.
- Labardi L, Gentile P, Gigliotti S, Marianetti M, Colicchia GM, Pascali M, Brinci L, Cervelli V. Medial thighplasty: horizontal and vertical procedures after massive weight loss. J Cutan Aesthet Surg. 2012 Jan;5(1):20-5. doi: 10.4103/0974-2077.94330. PMID: 22557851; PMCID: PMC3339123. Retrieved from https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/22557851/.
- Paul MA, Opyrchał J, Knakiewicz M, Jaremków P, Duda-Barcik Ł, Ibrahim AMS, Lin SJ. The long-term effect of body contouring procedures on the quality of life in morbidly obese patients after bariatric surgery. PLoS One. 2020 Feb 21;15(2):e0229138. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0229138. PMID: 32084189; PMCID: PMC7034793. Retrieved from https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/32084189/.
Dr Patrick Briggs
Specialist Plastic and Cosmetic Surgery Clinic in Melbourne
Dr Patrick Briggs is a Specialist Plastic and Cosmetic Surgeon. Both he and his team are dedicated to excellence in patient care and are committed to treating each and every patient with respect and privacy.
Not only does he offer high-quality results he also offers natural-looking plastic and cosmetic surgery results. Furthermore, he is experienced in Breast, Body and Face Surgery having performed over 4500 Surgeries in private practice.
How can we help?
Dr Briggs’ Patient Coordinators take pleasure in assisting you with any questions when considering a plastic surgery procedure. Please call the Hawthorn East clinic in Melbourne between 8 am – 6 pm on Weekdays.
Want more information about your Procedure?
What to Bring to Your Consultation
- If you like, please bring a friend or relative to help discuss the information and your choices.
- Take a lot of notes and thoroughly examine the documents your surgeon provides.
- You may need to undress so it’s a good idea to wear simple clothes.