Learn more about the right breast implant size that will best suit the results you want to achieve.
Which Breast Implants Should I Get?
Are you planning to undergo breast augmentation with implants? Are you experiencing difficulty choosing the right surgeon and medical facility? For many patients, these are just a few questions they want answers to before coming to a final decision. If you want fuller and more defined breasts, you also need to think about what size breast implant you want.
While this may add up to your worries, during your consultation your surgeon will help you decide on the best implant size that will not only suit your body type but also your cosmetic preferences.
Breast Augmentation Surgery – Download Dr Briggs FREE Guide
What Are the Things That Surgeons Should Consider When Choosing Breast Implant Size?
In order to prevent complications, revision procedures, and poor cosmetic results, your surgeon needs to consider the following factors when deciding on the size of your breast implant;
Your Body Anatomy
Your body anatomy impacts the size of your breast implants. For instance, surgeons prefer higher projection breast implants if you are petite or short-waisted. This allows your breasts to look fuller and well defined even on a narrower chest. In comparison, surgeons recommend wider breast implants if you are tall or long-waisted.
In general, the younger you are, the more elastic your skin is which makes it easier for surgeons to decide on the size of your breast implant. Younger skin tends to adjust to your new breast profile easier, which prevents the incidence of chest tightness and other discomforts.
For instance, the FDA approved the use of silicone gel implants in any patient over the age of 22 because they tend to have good skin elasticity.  While, on the other hand, if your skin is sagging due to old age, you may require a breast lift in addition to breast implant surgery to achieve optimal results.
If you are physically active, your surgeon will recommend a slight increase in your breast size because bigger breast implants can interfere with your activities of daily living.
Your Cosmetic Goals
You may wish to go beyond your limits and opt for bigger breast implants. However, your surgeon will need to consider other factors such as your body anatomy, age, and lifestyle and if they will suit your cosmetic goals. In general, unrealistic expectations would be a contraindication to the procedure.
Your Overall Health
You cannot undergo breast implant surgery if you have an active infection of the breast, silicone sensitivity, autoimmune disease, psychological instability, or an unstable medical condition.
Before and After Breast Implant Surgery
How do Surgeons come up with the Decision regarding your Breast Implant Size?
It is important to remember that every patient is unique; therefore, breast implants are not one-size-fits-all. In order to get the ideal breast implant, your surgeon will employ the following strategies;
- Use of volume sizers in the clinic: The in-clinic implant volume sizing kit system allows you to get a glimpse of the expected results of your surgery by providing a physical “try on” of the implant sizes available to you.
- Wearing different breast size fillers: This strategy is basically a trial and error and requires you to wear different breast size fillers for several days in a row while you wear a different outfit and engage in your activities of daily living. This allows you to feel which breast implant size best suits your preferences and lifestyle.
Can You Aim for a Specific Cup Size?
Trying to estimate your desired cup size is not a realistic cosmetic objective because of the following reasons;
- Bra cup sizes are widely inconsistent.
- Using cup size to determine your breast implant size is not the most reliable measurement.
- Bra cup sizes vary between brands (e.g. A or C cup size in one bra brand could be a B or D cup size in another brand).
What Are the Drawbacks of Larger Breast Implants?
Incorrect breast implant size such as too large implants for your body anatomy can lead to the following drawbacks;
- Unnatural and disproportionate breast size and shape.
- Negetive affect on your activities and daily living, for example; running, stretching, or cycling.
- You will need to wear a firmer support bra.
- Over time heavy prosthetics can lead to breast tissue damage.
- The bigger they are the faster gravity will take hold. In other words, heavier breast implants can speed up the development of sagging breasts.
- You’ll need a breast lift if you decide to replace or remove your implants because the skin is stretched to some degree.
The decision to undergo breast implant surgery is very personal and you will need to take your time to assess several factors to achieve a positive clinical outcome. If you’re considering breast implant surgery to improve your breast profile as well as your self-esteem, you can schedule a consultation with Dr Patrick Briggs or send in an enquiry form below.
Dr Patrick Briggs
Specialist Plastic and Cosmetic Surgery Clinic in Melbourne
Dr Patrick Briggs is a Specialist Plastic and Cosmetic Surgeon and his team are dedicated to excellence in patient care and are committed to treating each and every patient with respect and privacy.
Dr Patrick Briggs offers high quality, natural-looking plastic and cosmetic surgery results and is experienced in Breast, Body and Face Surgery having performed over 4500 Surgeries in private practice. Dr Patrick Briggs is an expert in breast, face and body surgery for men and women.
How can we help?
Dr Briggs’ Patient Coordinators take pleasure in assisting you with any questions when considering a plastic surgery procedure. Please call the Hawthorn East clinic in Melbourne between 8 am – 6 pm on Weekdays.
Want more information about your Procedure?
What to Bring to Your Consultation
- If you like, please bring a friend or relative to help discuss the information and your choices.
- Take a lot of notes and thoroughly examine the documents your surgeon provides.
- You may need to undress so it’s a good idea to wear simple clothes.
How to Book a Consultation
*Disclaimer: Individual results can vary significantly from patient to patient. The information we provide is general information only. For further information on what to expect for your preferred procedures, arrange to see one of our Specialist Plastic Surgeons for a full history and surgical consultation.