Tummy Tuck Surgery (Abdominoplasty) – Download Dr Briggs FREE Guide
Loose skin is an issue for most women who have had children or lost weight.
You can’t always exercise away excess skin, stretched skin and stubborn pockets of residual fat – especially after pregnancy or weight loss. But if you have loose skin, a tummy tuck with liposuction, rather than liposuction on its own, maybe your best solution. Why is that the case? There is only one answer: under-exercised muscles can be made firmer through strengthening through weight-bearing exercises. But loose skin cannot be exercised into firmness; it must be excised and removed, instead.
Top 10 Ways a Tummy Tuck helps treat loose skin, skin folds and belly bulges
1. Your waistline will become visible again
- A major motivation for a tummy tuck is improvements to appearance.
- Tummy surgery helps you have a visible waistline again (one that curves INWARD rather than OUTWARDS in appearance).
- An abdominoplasty can reduce belly bulges AND reduce the amount of skin with extensive stretch marks, including removing stubborn fat stores and skin folds.
2. Looking better in clothing from fitness gear to swimwear and lingerie
- Clothing lies more flattering on the body after a Tummy Tuck procedure.
- You can typically wear more fitted clothes.
- Women or men wear less baggy clothes after a tummy tuck.
- You can leave your baggy outfits behind and wear the clothes you used to love to wear – more fitted jeans, fitted tops and clinging clothing.
3. You’ll have Improved Confidence and Self-Esteem
- Patients with excess skin folds report a decrease in body confidence.
- Tummy Tuck Surgery patients often report a boost in self-confidence and self-esteem.
- Often, patients report they feel more positive and confident.
- Especially if they’ve lost a lot of weight, for some patients, they feel AFTER surgery is the FIRST REAL-TIME they can fully celebrate their hard work and new figure. They didn’t feel their transformation was complete when they were plagued with sagging skin folds after weight loss.
4. Core Abdominal Strength and a Sculpted Contour to your Abdominal Area or Tummy/Stomach
- After major weight fluctuations or pregnancy, stomach muscles can become weak, distended or detached.
- Flaccid stomach muscles don’t respond to diet or exercise and require additional help.
- A tummy tuck surgically tightens your stretched out abdominal muscles to improve core strength.
- . Tightening the abdomen also tightens or firms the mons pubis area – no more fat upper pubic area (or FUPA).
5. Postural Improvements
- Your core will become stronger when your abdominal muscles are repaired and tightened through a Tummy Tuck.
- This gives your spine better support and allows you to sit and stand up straighter.
- Surgical removal of excess skin and residual fat stores also helps prevent the weight of your bulging tummy from pulling your torso slightly forward.
- This can really help improve your posture.
- Plus, feeling more confident and physically attractive has many people standing up taller and straighter and walking more upright (with better posture).
6. Less Back and Neck Pain
- Research shows Tummy Tuck Abdominoplasty, done properly, tightens core abdominal muscles and reduces back pain and urinary incontinence.
- Reduced forward pressure on the spine after reducing skin folds can provide a better, straighter spine alignment.
- Increased core muscle strength and better alignment may result in decreased pain complaints related to posture or excess belly skin.
7. Easier to Exercise after Removing Loose Skin
- Having excess abdominal fat and sagging skin can inhibit not only clothing choices, but your range of motion.
- Let’s face it – excess skin does weigh you down, and can make exercise difficult or wearing exercise gear uncomfortable.
- With fat and excess skin removed and abdominal muscles tighter after surgery, core strength is significantly improved.
- Exercise then becomes easier and more enjoyable, plus you can feel more comfortable wearing the latest slim-fit fitness gear.
8. Increased Motivation to Keep Weight Off
- Research indicates formerly obese (Bariatric) patients who undergo surgery to remove excess skin folds are more likely to keep excess weight OFF, over longer durations, than if they had NOT had a Tummy Tuck procedure.
- The removal of Abdominal fat has other benefits:
- it increases a sense of satiety
- reduces the levels of certain hormones that impact appetite
- essentially reduces hunger
- helps facilitate exercise.
- Feeling great about your new body — which often doesn’t fully happen until your baggy, sagging skin folds are gone — gives most patients higher motivation to stay on their healthy-living and regular-exercise course.
9. Better Bladder Control
- If you experience urinary incontinence or stress incontinence (the urgent need to pee). you may have improved bladder control after a Tummy Tuck procedure.
- This is essentially due to having better core muscle strength which can impact on your bladder control.
10. Reduced Health Risks
- Research indicates that many long term health problems appear to arise from excess fat and skin in your abdominal area.
- This includes diabetes and fungal infections to heart disease, liver disease, heart attacks, and more. Excess fat and skin put pressure on the internal organs, inhibiting healthy function and feeding them toxins.
- A Tummy Tuck may improve your overall health as well as lower the risk of any future medical problems if it helps you exercise more and reduce excess weight.
Other Options and Solutions For Loose Skin
Can you Exercise Loose Skin? – Liposuction and Tummy Tuck Surgery
We see many patients who are diligent about exercising and keeping fit. But they find that, after pregnancy or weight loss, they are left with damaged abdominal muscles and excess skin that no amount of exercise or sits ups OR dieting will take away.
- That’s where Tummy Tuck with Liposuction can help restore a firmer, flatter appearance to the waistline and belly skin.
- Loose skin can be surgically reduced, your navel readjusted and the torso area restored to a firmer, flatter appearance with a defined waistline.
- The method is called ABDOMINOPLASTY but it is also called a Tummy Tuck.
- Liposuction may help with sculpting the torso BUT on its own, will not adjust for loose skin and can make skin folds appear more prominent.
- So often Tummy tuck surgery is best, however, it will leave a scar, and recovery can take several weeks (compression garments must be worn as prescribed) – for details, download a guide below and read about the procedure on this page.
Further Reading about solutions for loose skin
- Will Medicare cover Abdominoplasty and Skin Reduction Surgery?
- What is the ideal weight or BMI for a Tumy Tuck
Dr Patrick Briggs
Specialist Plastic and Cosmetic Surgery Clinic in Melbourne
Dr Patrick Briggs is a Specialist Plastic and Cosmetic Surgeon. Both he and his team are dedicated to excellence in patient care and are committed to treating each and every patient with respect and privacy.
Not only does he offer high-quality results he also offers natural-looking plastic and cosmetic surgery results. Furthermore, he is experienced in Breast, Body and Face Surgery having performed over 4500 Surgeries in private practice.
How can we help?
Dr Briggs’ Patient Coordinators take pleasure in assisting you with any questions when considering a plastic surgery procedure. Please call the Hawthorn East clinic in Melbourne between 8 am – 6 pm on Weekdays.
Want more information about your Procedure?
What to Bring to Your Consultation
- If you like, please bring a friend or relative to help discuss the information and your choices.
- Take a lot of notes and thoroughly examine the documents your surgeon provides.
- You may need to undress so it’s a good idea to wear simple clothes.