How Do I Know If It’s Time for a Breast Lift?
Download This Free Guide and Find Out
Sadly gravity will impact breast tissue over time. Women generally require a breast lift for sagging breasts. These procedures address the effects of passing time, long-term gravity, hormonal changes related to ageing and weight fluctuations or obesity.
So how do you know when it’s time for a breast lift surgery? You may be a good candidate for a breast lift surgery if you answer yes to the following questions:
- Are your breasts lower, or less firm (or perky) than they used to be?
- Have childbirth, breastfeeding, weight changes or passing time caused your breasts to noticeably sag and droop?
- Are you unhappy with the location of your nipples?
- Do you dislike how your nipples look (larger, stretched, uneven or just pointing southward)?
- Is your skin losing collagen and firmness in places of your body, face or breast area?
- Do you feel your breast skin looks crepe-like or empty?
- Have you formerly had implants and they are sitting lower than you’d like?
What Are My Breast Lift Options?
There are a number of breast lift options available, which we will discuss below. These include:
- Mastopexy Augmentation – a breast lift with implants
- Breast reduction with lift
- A breast lift with additional reshaping
- Nipple surgery (size, shape, position)
You can have a breast lift surgery on its own, or combine it with other body contouring procedures. These might include:
The important thing is to get a harmonious look that blends in naturally with your entire body frame. When you feel it is time for a breast lift, there are some popular options to consider:
Breast Lift Surgery – With or Without Implants?
A breast lift is a surgery that helps re-position your existing breast tissue. This is done by lifting and tightening the skin in your breast and repositioning the nipples. On its own, a mastopexy procedure does not significantly change the size or shape of the breasts. If you want an increase in size, you may want to combine your breast lift with breast implants. A breast lift without implants usually requires adequate breast tissue and good skin elasticity to get a good result.
Results of the surgery generally depend on:
- Your existing breast tissue
- Skin health or elasticity
- Your preferences in terms of shape, size and position
Breast Lift Without Implants
A breast lift without implants will leave you with similar-sized breasts, relocated higher on the chest. Good results do depend on what you’re starting with and how well you follow the preparation and post-op instructions. Maintaining your results depends on maintaining a stable weight, healthy eating and a good, supportive bra.
Breast Lift Surgery With Implants – Mastopexy Augmentation
Some women get the greatest value out of a lift if they also opt for breast augmentation. This can help refill the breast in the case of thin, sagging skin or very droopy breasts.
A breast lift with augmentation gives you uplift and a larger breast cup size. It can also help you gain a bit of cleavage or roundness to the shape of your breast.
Breast Lift Surgery – With or Without a Breast Reduction?
Another option is a breast reduction with a lift. This lifts the breast and re-positions the nipple. It is a great option for women with large, cumbersome breasts that have sagged over the years.
Changing the Shape, Size, or Position of the Nipples with Surgery
Many women end up finding their nipples start pointing downwards as their breasts begin to sag. A breast lift not only lifts the breasts, but it can also adjust or correct issues with the nipples, including:
- Disproportionate nipples (size or location)
- Inverted nipples
- Enlarged or over-stretched nipples
Severe sagging from lost collagen and breast tissue volume will create empty-looking breasts. This can even cause your nipples to point straight downwards towards the ground. A nipple relocation can restore your breasts and nipples to a more natural position. Breast surgery cannot turn back the clock, but it can help reverse some major signs of ageing. This is done by:
- Reducing sagging skin (skin tightening)
- Changing the nipple appearance to make it look more proportionate to the entire breast
- Re-positioning the nipples higher on the chest
If your breasts match any of the above, then it is time for a breast lift.
What to Expect During Recovery
You will need to take time away from normal activities. This includes picking up objects, driving, and looking after pets and children. Recovery can take several weeks but depending on your job or activities, you may resume some activities as Dr Briggs advises. More strenuous activities may take several weeks to several months.
Gravity, skin collagen losses, weight fluctuations and changing BMIs or muscle-to-fat rations will always remain a factor in how good your breasts look over time. It is also extremely important to choose a highly experienced surgeon who can give you great, long-term results. You’ll know you’re in experienced hands with the caring, communicative and patient-focused Specialist Plastic Surgeon, Dr Briggs. With over 25 years of specialist breast surgery experience, Dr Patrick Briggs is one of Melbourne’s leading plastic surgeons. Dr Briggs has helped hundreds of women get long-lasting results; alleviating the sagging look of lax-breast tissues.
Dr Patrick Briggs
Specialist Plastic and Cosmetic Surgery Clinic in Melbourne
Dr Patrick Briggs is a Specialist Plastic and Cosmetic Surgeon. Both he and his team are dedicated to excellence in patient care and are committed to treating each and every patient with respect and privacy.
Not only does he offer high-quality results he also offers natural-looking plastic and cosmetic surgery results. Furthermore, he is experienced in Breast, Body and Face Surgery having performed over 4500 Surgeries in private practice.
How can we help?
Dr Briggs’ Patient Coordinators take pleasure in assisting you with any questions when considering a plastic surgery procedure. Please call the Hawthorn East clinic in Melbourne between 8 am – 6 pm on Weekdays.
Want more information about your Procedure?
What to Bring to Your Consultation
- If you like, please bring a friend or relative to help discuss the information and your choices.
- Take a lot of notes and thoroughly examine the documents your surgeon provides.
- You may need to undress so it’s a good idea to wear simple clothes.