Mummy makeover surgery is a group of procedures that aims to improve your body contour after pregnancy. This can include breast augmentation, breast lift, liposuction, and/or tummy tuck. If you are considering a Mummy Makeover, there are some important things you need to know to make your recovery as safe and comfortable as possible.
URGENT UPDATE – The Australian Government has reinstated a Medicare Item Number for a Tummy Tuck for some post-pregnancy patients suffering from Diastasis Recti (Split Tummy Muscles) if you are eligible and meet the new criteria. This new 30175 Medicare Item Number – is effective 1st July 2022. Read the 30175 Medicare Item Number factsheet.
If you qualify for the 30175 Medicare item number you may also get a subsidy from your Health Fund. There will still be a significant out-of-pocket GAP as Tummy tuck surgery is NOT FREE.
Mummy Makeover Surgery – Post Pregnancy Breast and Tummy Surgery
Why is Mummy Makeover Surgery done?
A mummy makeover is done to improve the overall appearance of your body after childbirth or significant weight fluctuations. To be a good candidate for the surgery, you must have;
- Good overall health
- Realistic expectations
- A positive outlook
- As well as, a stable body weight
In addition, you should only undergo a mummy makeover once you are done having children. This is due to the fact that future pregnancy can affect your results. Furthermore, it’s important that you commit to a healthy lifestyle after the surgery as significant weight gain can also have a negative impact on your results.
Follow your Post-Mummy Makeover Instructions
To achieve the results you want it is important that you adhere to the post-operative instructions that your surgeon provides you with after your procedure before you go home. Strictly following these instructions can lower your risk of developing complications like infection, seroma, hematoma or wound breakdown (See Risks of Surgery)
Mummy Makeover Surgery Recovery Timeline
First 24 Hours
In the first 24 hours, you will likely experience bruising, swelling, and pain around the surgical site. You will feel physical discomfort once the effect of the anaesthesia wears off. However, you can easily manage these by taking oral pain medications, anti-inflammatories, and muscle relaxants. To reduce swelling, you will need to wear a compression garment 23 hours a day. You will likely stay in the hospital overnight for observation.
Getting plenty of rest during the first week is vital. However, that does not mean you should remain stationary 24/7. In fact, we encourage you to do some light walking around your home to help prevent blood clot formation. We also recommend you have someone assist you with wound dressing change and house chores.
By week two post-surgery, you will notice a significant reduction in physical discomforts. The surgical sites may still feel a little sore and tender but you will be able to perform some house chores and light activities. During this time it’s important that you listen to your body. You may tire more easily doing such activities, so listen to your body and rest as necessary.
During this period of your mummy makeover recovery, you should see and feel a noticeable reduction in post-operative swelling. You’ll start to feel more comfortable and your energy levels will start to get back to normal.
At this point, your surgeon will normally give you the all-clear to resume moderate exercises since the surgical incisions are fully closed. However, the swelling can take up to a year to fully subside so you need to be patient.
How long does mummy makeover Surgery take?
- Generally, mummy makeover surgery can take between 4-6 hours.
- That being said, the time depends on what procedures you have, the number of procedures you have as well as the condition of your skin.
Mummy Makeover Recovery FAQs
What is the fastest way to recover from a mummy makeover?
- Some tips for faster recovery after Mummy Makeover surgery include;
- Avoiding both smoking and drinking alcohol.
- Don’t lift heavy weights.
- Have someone drive you home after surgery.
- Get help around the house for the first week or so, you should not be doing household chores during your recovery.
- Listen to your body.
- Make sure you get plenty of rest.
- Take your medications regularly.
- Wear your compression garment religiously.
- And finally, listen to your surgeon.
How long does it take to heal from mummy makeover surgery?
- In most cases, recovery time can range from several weeks to months.
- This depends on;
- The extent of your surgery
- The number of surgical procedures you underwent
- How you care for your body after the surgery.
How painful is recovery from a mummy makeover?
- Most of the pain will come from tummy tuck recovery. However, your surgeon will prescribe you medications that can help manage any discomfort.
How can I speed up recovery from surgery?
- Most tips for a faster recovery are the same no matter what surgery you undergo, many of which are common sense, including;
- Avoid activities that require heavy lifting.
- Eat healthy foods.
- Staying hydrated.
- Follow your surgeon’s postoperative instructions.
- Give your body enough time to rest.
- Take good care of your wounds.
How long before swelling goes down after a tummy tuck?
- Almost 80% of the swelling will disappear during the first 2 months. However, you may experience some residual swelling for several months.
- To reduce swelling, you will need to wear your compression garment religiously.
How long does it take to recover from a tummy tuck?
- The recovery from a tummy tuck commonly takes around 8 weeks. Of course, this will depend on the degree of skin sagging, the type of tummy tuck you had, and how well you adhere to the postoperative instructions.
What are the restrictions after a mummy makeover Surgery?
To achieve optimal results and prevent complications after a mummy makeover:
- Avoid heavy workout routines for 6 weeks.
- Don’t swim for 3 weeks.
- Don’t smoke and drink alcohol for at least 2 weeks after the surgery.
When can I return to work after a mummy makeover?
- This will depend on the nature of your job. You will likely return to work after resting for 2 weeks if you have an office job.
- For jobs that are more tiring or physically demanding, you will need to take few more weeks off to recover.
How do you sleep after a mummy makeover?
- Both breast augmentation and tummy tuck will require you to sleep with your upper half elevated.
- In the first few days, you will need to sleep in a recliner with your compression garment on.
How do you prepare for a mummy makeover?
- To prepare for the surgery;
- Organise your home, if your home is tidy you will feel more relaxed during your recovery.
- Doing some meal prep before your surgery can help take pressure off and ensure you eat healthy during the initial days at home.
- Arrange for someone to stay with you during your first week at home.
- Have someone organised to drive you home after the surgery.
- Get lab testing or a medical evaluation.
- Inform your surgeon about any medications you are taking (aspirin, anti-inflammatory drugs, and some herbal supplements can increase your risk of bleeding).
- Set up a recovery area at home.
- Stop smoking.
How long does post-surgery fatigue last?
- Post-surgery fatigue will normally subside after a few days.
- As you recover, you will notice that you’ll feel more energized and you can engage in some light activities.
Will I develop scars after a mummy makeover?
- Scarring is part of any surgery.
- However, surgical scars associated with the procedure lighten over time.
- To reduce the visibility of the scars, your surgeon will ensure that the incisions are in the natural folds of your skin, where possible.
- In addition, you will also receive specific postoperative instructions from your surgeon regarding proper wound care and how to manage scarring.
Can you combine mummy makeover with other surgical procedures?
- In most cases, a mommy makeover is performed along with other surgical procedures to achieve better and long-lasting results.
- During your initial consultation with your surgeon, you will receive recommendations regarding which procedures will best suit your body type, lifestyle, and cosmetic goals.
Medical Benefits of Mummy Makeover
Improves Quality of Life
A mummy makeover can include different cosmetic procedures such as breast augmentation, breast lift, liposuction, and/or tummy tuck. An overwhelming body of clinical evidence suggests that mummy makeovers can significantly improve your quality of life.
A study assessed the magnitude of the effect of cosmetic breast augmentation on patient satisfaction and health-related quality of life.  A total of 41 patients were included and they were instructed to answer the BREAST-Q Augmentation module both before and after augmentation. Results showed significant improvements in breast satisfaction, psychosocial well-being, and sexual functioning after the surgery.
An evaluation of different studies assessing the effect of breast lift on quality of life was conducted.  This included 13 patient satisfaction surveys on the effect of the procedure on the degree of breast sagging, breast symmetry, scar quality, and nipple/areola size. Significant improvements in the overall breast appearance and quality of life were found.
A study evaluated the effects of aesthetic liposuction among 64 patients.  The subjects answered a set of questionnaires assessing life satisfaction and self-esteem before and after the surgery. Significant improvements in health, body image, and life, in general, were found.
A study assessed the quality of life, self-esteem, and emotional stability of patients who had a tummy tuck.  In this study, the subjects were instructed to answer a questionnaire and standardized self-assessment test on satisfaction and quality of life. Researchers observed significantly increased values in the area of quality of life as well as patient satisfaction. Learn also the Benefits of a Tummy Tuck to Treat Loose Skin.
Improves Body Posture
Studies also suggest that surgical procedures involved in a mummy makeover can help improve body posture.
A group of patients with small breasts who underwent breast augmentation were enrolled in a study.  The posture of the subjects was evaluated before and 1, 4, and 12 months after surgery. Researchers observed that 1 year after surgery, the positioning of the head and pelvis of the subjects had significantly improved. It was concluded that the improvement in posture was associated with increased self-esteem.
A study evaluated the effects of abdominoplasty on vertebral-column angles and the psychological status of a group of women.  Preoperatively and 6 months postoperatively, the subjects underwent a radiographic test to assess the thoracic and lumbar regions. They also answered questionnaires assessing physical, psychological, and quality-of-life changes following surgery. Researchers reported that the subjects had improvements in vertebral-column angles following the surgery.
Medical References about Mummy Makeover Recovery:
- McCarthy CM, Cano SJ, Klassen AF, Scott A, Van Laeken N, Lennox PA, Cordeiro PG, Pusic AL. The magnitude of effect of cosmetic breast augmentation on patient satisfaction and health-related quality of life. Plast Reconstr Surg. 2012 Jul;130(1):218-223. doi: 10.1097/PRS.0b013e318254b3bc. PMID: 22743886. Retrieved from National Library of Medicine PubMed.
- Spear SL, Pelletiere CV, Menon N. One-stage augmentation combined with mastopexy: aesthetic results and patient satisfaction. Aesthetic Plast Surg. 2004 Sep-Oct;28(5):259-67. doi: 10.1007/s00266-004-0032-6. Epub 2004 Nov 5. PMID: 15529204. Retrieved from National Library of Medicine PubMed.
- Papadopulos NA, Kolassa MJ, Henrich G, Herschbach P, Kovacs L, Machens HG, Klöppel M. Quality of life following aesthetic liposuction: A prospective outcome study. J Plast Reconstr Aesthet Surg. 2019 Aug;72(8):1363-1372. doi: 10.1016/j.bjps.2019.04.008. Epub 2019 Apr 19. PMID: 31079946. Retrieved from National Library of Medicine PubMed.
- Papadopulos NA, Staffler V, Mirceva V, Henrich G, Papadopoulos ON, Kovacs L, Herschbach P, Machens HG, Biemer E. Does abdominoplasty have a positive influence on quality of life, self-esteem, and emotional stability? Plast Reconstr Surg. 2012 Jun;129(6):957e-962e. doi: 10.1097/PRS.0b013e31824ecc2b. PMID: 22634693. Retrieved from National Library of Medicine PubMed.
- Mazzocchi M, Dessy LA, Iodice P, Saggini R, Scuderi N. A study of postural changes after breast augmentation. Aesthetic Plast Surg. 2012 Jun;36(3):570-7. doi: 10.1007/s00266-011-9841-6. Epub 2011 Nov 16. PMID: 22083412. Retrieved from National Library of Medicine PubMed.
- Temel M, Türkmen A, Berberoğlu Ö. Improvements in Vertebral-Column Angles and Psychological Metrics After Abdominoplasty With Rectus Plication. AesthetSurg J. 2016 May;36(5):577-87. doi: 10.1093/asj/sjv257. Epub 2016 Jan 12. PMID: 26764262. Retrieved from National Library of Medicine PubMed.
Dr Patrick Briggs Melbourne Plastic Surgeon – FRCS (Plas)
Specialist Plastic and Cosmetic Surgery Clinic in Melbourne
Dr Patrick Briggs is a Specialist Plastic and Cosmetic Surgeon. Both he and his team are dedicated to excellence in patient care and are committed to treating each and every patient with respect and privacy.
Not only does he offer high-quality results he also offers natural-looking plastic and cosmetic surgery results. Furthermore, he is experienced in Breast, Body and Face Surgery having performed over 4500 Surgeries in private practice.
How can we help?
Dr Briggs’ Patient Coordinators take pleasure in assisting you with any questions when considering a plastic surgery procedure. Please call the Hawthorn East clinic in Melbourne between 8 am – 6 pm on Weekdays.
Want more information about your Procedure?
What to Bring to Your Consultation
- If you like, please bring a friend or relative to help discuss the information and your choices.
- Take a lot of notes and thoroughly examine the documents your surgeon provides.
- You may need to undress so it’s a good idea to wear simple clothes.