Do you have Man Boobs?
Gynaecomastia Surgery (Male Breast Reduction Surgery) is a popular surgery for men who want a flatter, smoother-looking chest contour.
Male Breast Reduction Surgery – Download Dr Briggs FREE Guide
Man Boobs in Australia: Prevalence and Surgery Treatments
As you may have read in the first Blog on the topic of man boobs, many men in Australia have enlarged or puffy-looking breast tissues. They often want to get a flatter, more sculpted or more traditionally masculine-looking chest. Where other treatments such as medication changes and weight loss have not succeeded to reduce the moobs, Plastic Surgery can help.
Here’s an overview of what to consider if you’re wanting to have Male Breast Reduction Surgery to reduce enlarged, swollen-looking lumpy or protruding breasts tissues.
Quality Of Life – Impacts of Having Enlarged Male Breasts
Having enlarged or protruding man boobs is not uncommon. Some men aren’t troubled by them, but many men feel self-conscious about their ‘moobs’. If you’re reading this blog it is likely that you, or someone you know, has enlarged or puffy nipples and breast tissues rather than a flatter-looking chest.
Are you wanting to do something to remedy your ‘man boobs’? Do you;
- Feel embarrassed or self conscious when you are shirtless?
- Find your unable to wear trendy, close-fitting ‘fashion shirts’ commonly worn by younger males?
- Feel limited in what you can comfortably wear and look good in?
- Think having large male breast tissues impacts other’s perceptions of your fitness levels or fashion style (or lack thereof)?
- Cover up your upper body even in summer, to try to hide your “moobs?”
Approximately 1 in 3 to up to 25% of adult men may have enlarged breast tissues.
Some men even avoid relationships out of self-consciousness about their chest appearance.
Gynaecomastia Surgery by Dr Briggs can help you get flatter chest contours back again.
No surgical options
There are some non-surgical options that should be tried first, such as; medication and nutritional changes, avoiding substances linked with Gynaecomastia and making sure your hormones are in balance.
Weight gain may also be a factor. But for many men, the best solution will end up being a surgical one. The results are not only long-lasting but also lead to a better quality of life by providing men with the emotional freedom to go shirtless again, without feeling overly self-conscious or being subjected to hurtful comments. (Remember the Jerry Seinfeld Show’s “man bra” episode about the BRO?)
However, to better assess if you’re a good candidate for Male Breast Reduction Surgery you will need to arrange a personalised consultation with Dr Briggs to discuss;
- Gynaecomastia types and symptoms
- Potential surgery results as well as surgery risks
- Customisation of your procedure
- Recovery and healing protocols
- Scar Minimisation Treatments (scars usually minimal for most patients).
If you’ve read the first part of this blog, you’ll know the common contributors to Gynaecomastia, and you’ll have read about the non-surgical approaches that might help. You’ll also know that male breast reduction surgery is often the best option when other approaches have failed to yield results.
Male Breast Reduction Surgery can help you regain a more traditionally masculine chest contour.
However, surgery to smooth, flatten or contour the breast area is NOT a replacement or substitute for healthy living – and your result will depend on what you’re starting with in terms of fitness, skin health and your physique.
And it will not leave you looking like a bodybuilder (unless you actually ARE one). So be sure you keep your expectations realistic and recognise that what you start with WILL have an impact on your surgery results.
Criteria for considering Male Breast Reduction surgery
Are you a Good Candidate for Gynaecomastia Surgery in Melbourne?
You may be a good candidate for surgery if:
- You’ve tried non-surgical options but found them unsuccessful. For example you have tried;
- Changing your medications
- Improving your lifestyle
- Adjusting gym supplements
- Cutting out alcohol or other substances
- And changing a diet that is high in soy milk or other soy products.
- You experienced persistent enlarged male breasts for 12-18 months despite conservative treatments.
- You are otherwise in good health and are a non-smoker.
- Its also important that you keep your expectations realistic if you are considering Male Breast Reduction Surgery. Remember that patient results will vary from patient to patient.
- Even if you are overweight if your weight is stable and within a healthy weight range, surgery can help.
- However, sometimes you will need to get your weight down first and learn how to maintain a healthy lifestyle, before surgery is practical.
Ask our Patient Care Team for details and they can also suggest a weight-management program by Dr Arun Dhir.
Are you at a Good, Healthy Weight but still have enlarged Man Boobs?
IF you are otherwise lean and frequently in the gym, but still plagued by a fatty-looking or puffy looking chest or nipple area, surgery can certainly make a natural-looking yet subtle difference.
Even bodybuilders and gym junkies sometimes find they have more fat in their chest area than they would like.
Dr Patrick Briggs Melbourne Plastic Surgeon – FRCS (Plas)
Specialist Plastic and Cosmetic Surgery Clinic in Melbourne
Dr Patrick Briggs is a Specialist Plastic and Cosmetic Surgeon. Both he and his team are dedicated to excellence in patient care and are committed to treating each and every patient with respect and privacy.
Not only does he offer high-quality results he also offers natural-looking plastic and cosmetic surgery results. Furthermore, he is experienced in Breast, Body and Face Surgery having performed over 4500 Surgeries in private practice.
How can we help?
Dr Briggs’ Patient Coordinators take pleasure in assisting you with any questions when considering a plastic surgery procedure. Please call the Hawthorn East clinic in Melbourne between 8 am – 6 pm on Weekdays.
Want more information about your Procedure?
What to Bring to Your Consultation
- If you like, please bring a friend or relative to help discuss the information and your choices.
- Take a lot of notes and thoroughly examine the documents your surgeon provides.
- You may need to undress so it’s a good idea to wear simple clothes.