Yes, you can tighten loose skin with skin reduction surgery.
What is skin reduction surgery? The terminology to tighten loose skin for men and women who have lost a significant amount of weight is either Body Contouring or Body Lift Surgery.
There are a variety of procedures available to remove excess skin after weight loss or pregnancy. They often involve skin reduction, liposuction and skin tightening.
Excess Skin Reduction (Post Weight Loss Loose Skin Removal) – Download Dr Briggs FREE Guide
Body Contouring Surgery is appropriate for those who have lost significant amounts of weight resulting in large folds of saggy skin across the body. It is also suitable for those who have large folds of loose skin due to multiple pregnancies.
Whether you want to reshape your mid-body contour or remove unsightly hanging skin, Body Lift Surgery can help. You can achieve a more toned & streamlined body contour.
Procedures That Tighten Loose Skin
Circumferential abdominoplasty (belt lipectomy)
- A circumferential tummy tuck is more extensive than a standard tummy tuck.
- It’s usually performed on patients who have lost a great deal of weight and now have loose, overhanging skin around their entire body.
- An incision is made that extends around the entire waistline, through which excess skin and fat are removed and the muscles are tightened.
- Your surgeon will also life the outer thighs and buttocks.
- They may also create a new navel.
- A Thighplasty surgery or thigh reduction procedure helps reduce and reshape the loose skin of your thigh.
- This results in more toned, contoured legs.
- It is common to combine Liposculpture and Thighplasty to; remove excess fat from both the inner and outer surfaces of the thigh and buttocks.
Lower body lift (thighs, tummy and buttocks)
- Lower Body Lift surgery is a combination of Skin Reduction procedures that tightens and sculpts;
- The buttocks
- Back of the thighs
- Outer thighs
- Inner thighs
- And abdomen.
- A Lower Body Lift targets excess skin along; the lower abdomen, relaxed abdominal muscles and loose skin along the thighs and buttocks.
- This procedure can dramatically improve areas of sagging skin and/or cellulite below the waistline.
Breast lift (with or without implants)
A Breast Lift or Mastopexy involves the reshaping and lifting of the breast to remedy severely droopy or sagging breasts. This procedure is common for women following pregnancy, breastfeeding, ageing or significant weight loss.
Breast Reduction Surgery, also known as Reduction Mammoplasty, is a procedure involving the reduction of the size of overly large breasts. This procedure removes excess breast fat, tissue and skin. By doing this patients can achieve a more proportionate breast size. Your surgeon may also elevate the breasts and nipples to a more central position on the chest wall. They can even adjust the size, shape and symmetry of the nipple if you desire.
A Brachioplasty procedure (Arm lift) is a surgical reduction of excess skin from the upper arm area, usually from the elbow to the under-arm area of the body. Most Brachioplasty procedures also involve liposuction prior to excising the excess skin. This surgery is often referred to as surgery to reduce “bat wings” or “bingo wings,”. However, the official name is a Bilateral Brachioplasty.
A lower or upper back lift can produce a slimmer, more defined contour to the back and remove excess or sagging skin.
A bra-line or upper back lift is a type of plastic surgery treatment intended to correct sagging back fat rolls affecting the upper back. For a lower back lift, excess skin and fat are removed from the lower back. The buttocks also undergos a lift.
Upper body lift (arms, back and breasts)
Upper-body-lift surgery may consist of one or several procedures, including an upper arm lift, Breast Lift (or Male Breast Reduction) or surgery to remove fat rolls along the back. Loose, sagging skin is targeted and removed from the upper body to create a tighter and smoother contour.
Facelift Surgery can help you regain a more toned facial appearance by removing skin folds and excess skin and reducing wrinkles and deep trough lines. A Facelift involves lifting the tissues of the mid and lower part of the face, as well as tightening and lifting skin and underlying muscle around the mid and upper neck.
A neck lift procedure lifts the back (rear) corner of the platysma muscle, drawing the surrounding tissue up, which greatly reduces looseness in the skin and underlying tissue on the neck. Combining Liposuction or fat transfer procedures may be of additional benefit for some neck lift patients.
When to consider skin reduction
What causes excess or sagging skin?
Our skin is a living organ, and it adapts to weight gain by expanding or stretching. Our skin has a limited ability to tighten once that excess weight is lost, and this depends on a number of factors. When it comes to the extra flab you may have around your stomach, arms, thighs or back, the accumulation of fat stretches your skin tight, so when you lose that fat, your skin isn’t able to snap back to where it used to be. Over time, the elasticity of your skin weakens, and when it comes to your stomach, your abdominal muscles and connective tissue also weaken which are largely responsible for how tight and toned your abdomen is. Many factors can contribute to excess/sagging skin, including, but not limited to:
- Significant Weight Loss or Weight Fluctuation
- Heredity Condition
Why doesn’t skin just ‘snap back’?
Some people are more susceptible to excess skin; your skin’s ability to contract and bounce back after losing weight depends on various factors such as:
- The quality of your skin tone
- The amount of weight gained and lost
- Sun exposure
- Lifestyle factors such as smoking
Quick, drastic weight loss shocks your system in such a way that your skin’s elasticity doesn’t have enough time to adapt to your new shape.
Am I a good candidate for excess skin removal?
Body Contouring Surgery can help to remove excess, sagging or hanging skin to achieve a toned, firmer body contour. Mentally, excess skin can lead to embarrassment and a lack of satisfaction with your body image, even after significant weight loss. The accomplishment of losing weight is diminished because this is not reflected in the ‘final result’ Skin Reduction Surgery can help those who have lost weight to regain their confidence and body image by removing embarrassing and uncomfortable excess skin.
To be considered a suitable candidate for Body Contouring Surgery, you must have realistic expectations about what can and cannot be achieved.
Common reasons for wanting skin reduction?
Some of the reasons you may be exploring your surgical options for excess skin removal:
- Loose sagging skin that is uncomfortable and embarrassing
- Recurring skin infections
- Chaffing due to skin folds
- Feeling ‘off balance’ during exercise
- Feeling uncomfortable and self-conscious wearing revealing clothing or swimming
- Prone to unpleasant body odour due to moisture trapped in excess skin folds
- Other discomforts including fear of intimacy due to current body contours
- Inability to see your natural body curves or shape due to excess skin
- Difficulty finding clothing that flatters you (e.g. wearing baggy clothing even though you’ve lost weight)
Specialist Plastic Surgeon – Dr Patrick Briggs
Skin reduction and body contouring specialist surgeon is a FRCS qualified Specialist Surgeon, who specialises in Body Contouring and Skin Reduction Surgery procedures. He performs: Body Contouring and Excess Skin Removal procedures, including Circumferential Abdominoplasty (Belt Lipectomy), Thigh Lift, Liposuction, Back Lift, Arm Lift (Brachioplasty), Breast Lift (with or without implants), Breast Reduction, Facelift and Neck Lift. With over 30 years of surgical experience, is highly trained and qualified in the intricate surgical skill required when performing highly complex Skin Reduction procedures.
Dr Patrick Briggs Melbourne Plastic Surgeon – FRCS (Plas)
Specialist Plastic and Cosmetic Surgery Clinic in Melbourne
Dr Patrick Briggs is a Specialist Plastic and Cosmetic Surgeon. Both he and his team are dedicated to excellence in patient care and are committed to treating each and every patient with respect and privacy.
Not only does he offer high-quality results he also offers natural-looking plastic and cosmetic surgery results. Furthermore, he is experienced in Breast, Body and Face Surgery having performed over 4500 Surgeries in private practice.
How can we help?
Dr Briggs’ Patient Coordinators take pleasure in assisting you with any questions when considering a plastic surgery procedure. Please call the Hawthorn East clinic in Melbourne between 8 am – 6 pm on Weekdays.
Want more information about your Procedure?
What to Bring to Your Consultation
- If you like, please bring a friend or relative to help discuss the information and your choices.
- Take a lot of notes and thoroughly examine the documents your surgeon provides.
- You may need to undress so it’s a good idea to wear simple clothes.