Body Lift Surgery FAQS about Different Types of Body Lift
Dr Patrick Briggs offers Body Lift Surgery for excess skin removal after massive weight loss. Here he answers some of the most common Body Lift FAQs for reducing excess skin after massive weight loss.
Excess Skin Reduction (Post Weight Loss Loose Skin Removal) – Download Dr Briggs FREE Guide
What is the difference between a tummy tuck and a lower body lift?
- Both the lower body lift and a tummy tuck are surgeries that tighten the abdominal muscles resulting in a flatter abdomen.
- A tummy tuck may only involve tightening the muscles and removing the excess skin in the stomach. On the other hand, a lower body lift goes much further than a tummy tuck by sculpting your outer hips, love handles, lower back, and buttocks.
What is included in a lower body lift?
A lower body lift includes tightening of the loose skin of the abdomen, posterior thighs, hips, outer thighs as well as anterior thighs.
What does an upper body lift include?
What is a circumferential body lift?
A circumferential body lift is a cosmetic surgical procedure that involves the removal of excess fat and skin from the abdomen, waists, hips, buttocks, and thighs giving your abdomen a firmer contour as well as lifting your buttocks. In a circumferential body lift incisions are made around the entire circumference of the body.
What is a lower back lift?
A lower back lift, commonly called a belt lipectomy, is a cosmetic surgical procedure that removes excess fat and skin from the buttocks, thighs, hips, and abdomen. It combines abdominoplasty with a thigh lift, where the incision is made from the back around to the front of the thighs.
What is a full-body lift?
A full-body lift is also called a body lift or body contouring surgery.
What is the difference between a belt lipectomy and a tummy tuck?
- A tummy tuck involves the removal of excess skin and fat from the abdomen region only, whereas a belt lipectomy removal of excess skin and fat from the buttocks, the thighs, hips as well as abdomen.
- The incision for the tummy tuck is made around the entire abdomen region. As a belt lipectomy can combine a tummy tuck with a thigh lift, an incision on the thigh from the back to the front is also made.
What does a 360 body lift do?
A 360 body lift, also known as a 360 tummy tuck or a lower-body tummy tuck, targets and removes excess, loose skin and fats from the lower part of the body, such as the love handles, buttocks, thighs, hips, and lower abdomen.
What is a 360 tummy tuck?
A 360 tummy tuck, also known as a 360 body lift, is a cosmetic surgical procedure that targets and removes excess, loose skin and fats from the lower part of the body, such as the flanks, buttocks, thighs, hips, and lower abdomen through a complete three-sixty degrees circumferential approach to abdominoplasty. It can be performed alone or in conjugation with liposuction or a body lift.
What is a 360 body lift?
A 360 body lift, also known as a 360 tummy tuck or a lower-body tummy tuck, is a cosmetic surgical procedure that targets and removes excess, loose skin and fats from the lower part of the body, such as the flanks, buttocks, thighs, hips, and lower abdomen through a complete three-sixty degrees circumferential approach to abdominoplasty. It can be performed alone or in conjugation with liposuction or a body lift.
What is a Beltectomy?
A beltectomy also called an extended tummy tuck is a variant of the standard tummy tuck. In addition to removing extra skin from the stomach area, excess fats are also removed from the torso by targeting the flanks and back of the body by extending the lateral incision in a standard tummy tuck. It provides recontouring to hips and flanks in addition to the stomach.
Body Lift Surgery FAQs about suitability for Surgery
What’s involved in a body lift?
- A body lift is a cosmetic surgical procedure that involves removing, lifting, and tightening the skin as well as removing any excess fat.
- Lower body lift is the most common body lift procedure performed which treats the abdomen, lower back, buttocks, and thighs. Whereas, an upper body lift treats the arms, upper back, and breasts.
How do you know if you should have a body lift?
- You should have a body lift if:
- A significant amount of weight loss has resulted in you having excess saggy skin
- Your skin has lost its elasticity and your abdominal wall has become loose
- You are bothered by your appearance
- You can accept scarring around your body which can normally be covered
- Your mobility and daily life are affected by loose skin.
- The presence of excess skin has resulted in further deterioration of the skin
- You are physically healthy and near your ideal weight
- You do not smoke or drink heavily
- You have realistic expectations and goals from the procedure
How long does a body lift take?
- Depending on the areas to be lifted and if any other body contouring procedure is performed alongside a body lift, it can take anywhere from four to six hours or more.
- A lower body lift can take anywhere from four to seven hours while an upper body lift can take four to six hours.
Body Lift Surgery FAQs – Questions About Body Lift Recovery
How long does it take to recover from a full-body lift?
The time required for recovery will differ between two patients depending on the extent of body lift surgery performed, the surgical techniques used, and the patient’s natural healing ability. Most patients should be able to resume their daily routine or go to their workplace 10 to 14 days post-surgery, while it will take four to six weeks for some. Maximum swelling will subside three months after the surgery.
How do you sleep after a lower body lift?
You should consider sleeping on your back in a reclined or an elevated position after a lower body lift as it helps with the recovery.
Do compression garments help tighten skin?
Compression garments are extremely helpful in recovery as it helps reduce swelling and bruising post-surgery but they do not help tighten the skin.
What is the recovery time for a body lift?
Most people can recover and continue their daily activities 10 to 14 days after a body lift, while it may take up to four to six weeks in some cases. About 90% of the swelling will subside three months post-surgically.
How long do you wear a compression garment after lower body lift?
You should wear a compression garment for at least six weeks after a lower body lift. If swelling is present after six weeks, you should continue wearing the compression garment.
How long after a body lift surgery can I stand up straight?
You should be able to stand up straight two weeks after a body lift surgery.
Body Lift Surgery FAQs – Risks & Concern Questions
How painful is a body lift?
- As anesthesia is applied during the procedure, you won’t feel any pain during the procedure itself. However, post-surgery pain is a very common side effect, especially a major body lift procedure.
- It will be painful around the parts of the body that were operated on are extremely noticeable the first few days after the surgery. However, the pain will gradually subside becoming much less of an issue as recovery continues.
How painful is a lower body lift?
After a lower body lift, it is normal to feel pain, some burning, and numbness around the incision site. This will gradually fade after surgery.
Is a body lift surgery safe?
Generally, body lift surgeries are safe but like any other surgery it does carries some general risks including bleeding, complications related to anaesthesia, and infection.
How safe is skin removal surgery?
How do you prevent saggy skin when losing weight?
- You can prevent saggy skin from forming when losing weight by following these tips:
- Gradually losing weight
- Building muscles
- Eating a nutritious diet
- Drinking plenty of water
- Quitting smoking
Body Lift Surgery FAQs about Preparing for Body Lift
How do I prepare my body for plastic surgery?
- You can prepare your body for plastic surgery by following these steps:
- Schedule your plastic surgery when you’re healthy
- Consume a healthy and balanced diet
- Stay well hydrated
- Quit smoking at least two weeks before surgery
- Lose weight if you’re way over your ideal weight and maintain it before surgery
- Consult with your surgeon about your medications as some may need to be stopped
How do I prepare for a lower body lift?
- To prepare for a tummy tuck you should consider the following steps:
- Have a thorough consultation with your doctor
- Stop smoking two weeks before your surgery
- Avoid aspirin and blood-thinning medications
- Be close to your ideal weight and maintain it
- Arrange for someone to drive you home post-surgery
- Prepare a space for recovery post-surgery
Body Lift Surgery FAQs about Funding your Body Lift surgery
How much does a whole-body lift cost?
As a whole-body lift is performed to suit the needs of the patient, the cost varies according to individuals. The consultation charge, the Surgeon’s charge, an anaesthetist charge, the hospital charges, and charges for an overnight stay, medication, and post-surgery garments will be included in the final cost. Phone Dr Briggs’s team for a rough quote for your Whole Body lift
Will insurance cover a body lift?
If you can prove that you have a large pannus and it is causing you a number of health issues like infection and skin breakdown, then you may be covered by Medicare and health insurance. But, this will differ according to your insurance company so be sure to check with them. In every other case, a body lift is not covered by insurance.
What does a lower body lift cost?
- A lower body lift is a highly personalized surgical procedure that differs from patient to patient due to the amount of excess skin present and the surgical goals of the patients. Thus the cost of a belt lipectomy varies from individual to individual.
- Any other procedures that will be performed along with lower body lift like liposuction or a thigh lift, abdominoplasty, buttock lift will increase the cost.
- Phone Dr Briggs’s team for a rough quote for Body lift
Does insurance cover loose skin surgery?
If you can prove that you’ve lost a minimum of five BMI units, your weight has been stable for six months prior to the surgery, and your loose skin is causing you a number of health issues and it interferes with your daily life then your excess loose skin surgery will be covered by insurance. But, these criteria will differ according to the insurance company so be sure to check with them.
How much does a back lift cost?
- The cost of a back lift is different for each patient as it is a highly personalized surgical procedure. It can be combined with other surgical techniques like abdominoplasty, liposuction, a thigh lift, or breast surgery to contour the entire physique which will drive the cost of the back lift higher.
- Phone Dr Briggs’s team for a rough quote for Back lift
- The total cost of a back lift will include:
- The surgeon’s fees
- Anesthetic fees
- Hospital fees
How much does a belt lipectomy cost?
- A belt lipectomy is a highly personalized surgical procedure that differs from patient to patient due to the amount of excess skin present and the surgical goals of the patients. Thus the cost of a belt lipectomy varies from individual to individual.
- Phone Dr Briggs’s team for a rough quote for Belt Lipectomy
- Any other procedures that will be performed along with belt lipectomy like liposuction or a thigh lift or both will increase the cost. The total cost of the belt lipectomy will include:
- The surgeon’s fees
- Anesthetic fees
- Hospital fees
More Information about Body Lift Surgery
Dr Patrick Briggs
Specialist Plastic and Cosmetic Surgery Clinic in Melbourne
Dr Patrick Briggs is a Specialist Plastic and Cosmetic Surgeon. Both he and his team are dedicated to excellence in patient care and are committed to treating each and every patient with respect and privacy.
Not only does he offer high-quality results he also offers natural-looking plastic and cosmetic surgery results. Furthermore, he is experienced in Breast, Body and Face Surgery having performed over 4500 Surgeries in private practice.
How can we help?
Dr Briggs’ Patient Coordinators take pleasure in assisting you with any questions when considering a plastic surgery procedure. Please call the Hawthorn East clinic in Melbourne between 8 am – 6 pm on Weekdays.
Want more information about your Procedure?
What to Bring to Your Consultation
- If you like, please bring a friend or relative to help discuss the information and your choices.
- Take a lot of notes and thoroughly examine the documents your surgeon provides.
- You may need to undress so it’s a good idea to wear simple clothes.